The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would you choose and why. A 5000 hr, 2 owner 875 with 8 new radials,good pins, and cold AC. A 1992 946 with 9400hrs, powershift, pto, triples on the front axle only, looks clean sitting on dealers lot. I have not seen or talked to the owner/salesman yet. The tractor needs to pull an air seeder which has not been purchased either for a small farm. I'm trying to determine what risk there is with either that you bring the tractor home and the first season you get hit with a big repair bill for engine/transmission work etc. A custom operator for seeding a small number of acres would be less risky if you can find one for the ever shortening seeding window we have, but where is the fun in that!

P.S. What the heck is up with older Versitile tractors running triples on the front axle only? Sure looks strange!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
946 is slightly heavier (900 series frame a bit bigger) the 946 has a bit nicer cab and closed centre hydraulics which is a lot better for the air seeder however you can add a pump to the 875 if needed. If you got the cash to tune up the 946 add triples to the rear and any other possible items it would be the best bet long term. However if your buying a shank style drill with a single fan cart the 875 will work great and maybe cost you less in the next few years (tires alone are half the tractors value). Its a tough call a PS and triples would be a nice setup and pto to run cart would also be a bonus but if the 875 is in real nice shape it maybe the better option it just may limit future plans.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
I have seen 2 with a pto but I have never found one with a pto and power shift, we used a 876 with pto years back on the grain buggy but finding gears was a little more fun. I love them tractors and would give my left nut for both them options. I will have a very nice low houred 7240 magnum up for grabs if the op doesn't purchase it. It would be a great cover crop seeding tractor for me

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the 9400 hours on the 946 is nothing to be worried about? How about the powershift transmission as far as reliability or cost to repair? It seems either tractor could be ready to have some bottom end work done on the engine with the 875 getting done for the first time and the 946 has hopefully been done once already but closing in on hours to be done again.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Got me wondering how the 875 has only got 5000hrs on it. It would have to be getting close to 30 years old. Motor shouldn't need attention at those hrs unless electrolysis has come into play. Might need final drives turned.
I've got a 976 with 15500hrs on it. Didn't touch the motor till about 12000hrs. Those 855 cummins motors always seem to just keep on lugging. Had a few diff issues over the years, but never a complete failure in the middle of a job. More a case of leaking seals or end of season rebuild due to finding metal filings in the oil.
I'd be thinking the 946 would still be a good tractor (depending on service history) but would be closer to needing major money spending on it than the 875. Hydraulic capacity definitely better on the 946.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Got me wondering how the 875 has only got 5000hrs on it. It would have to be getting close to 30 years old. Motor shouldn't need attention at those hrs unless electrolysis has come into play.
I'd be thinking the 946 would still be a good tractor (depending on service history) but would be closer to needing major money spending on it than the 875. Hydraulic capacity definitely better on the 946.
Ditto!
Also, those axles didn`t hold up well with triples on.
Powershift may need attention soon on the 946.$$$
If 875 hours are genuine and it has been well serviced, it has a lot of life left in it, with not much to spend.
That motor shouldn`t need touched til 10/12000 hrs, if well maintained.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Hours don't mean much on older tractors how do ya know the 875 hasn't been around once (15,000hrs) or had a new hour meter. My big 4wd a 9180 case ih has 11,000 hrs runs like a top oil samples come back with super low levels of depsoits but it was rebuilt at 6500hrs. Very reliable other than ac no downtime in the time I owned it. The other steiger has now 9000 hrs the motor is all original maybe not even a bearing roll its a cat engine and oil samples show lots of wear but they don't recommend touching it yet unless oil consumption goes super high. My point is condition can mean more than hours with older unless you know the history. My semi has an N14 (newer version of 855) with 26,000 hr on it and as far as I know the motor is running original pistons and liners (had new injectors and bottom end) so they can go a long time if you look after them.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Both good tractors, we still have a 835 series 2, had an 875, 876 and 936, and a 9380. All of them were very good to us, all the tractors left the farm with high hours. The 9380 had almost 16,000 hrs. Pulled a scraper before we got it and the engine was done up hot with nearly 600hp and never put anything major into it, starter, alternator, u.joints, hydraulic pump upgrade, twisted off a drive shaft once but versy and stiger built incredible tractor that will still be in service a long time from now

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Farmer View Post
I am willing to bet nobody has seen a 946 with a pto. The 846 and 876 had a pto option but the 946 did not. Take a picture and show me.
Parts book shows PTO available with powershift and you can see a PTO on back of this tractor - do I win something?
You Win

·
Registered
79 Posts
We have a 83 875 Versatile with just under 5,000 hours on it. Been a awesome tractor. We bought it in 85 with about 300 hours on it. We run a 04 40' 5710 with MRB with a 3225 air cart pulling a 1450 gal nh3 tank. When everything is full you know it's back there but we've never ran out of Hp. We don't have any extra hydraulics and it does fine with one fan. 2 is out of the question though. If you want to run a independent opener drill then the 946 would be a better choice but probably still borderline on hydraulics. Biggest hold back on our 875 is traction. When you get in a wet spot with the air drill and the front caster wheels start to bulldoze mud it doesn't take long to spin out. As long as the front wheels stay up on the drill it'll pull it through allot. Never got stuck pulling out air seeder but of course the wheels are underneath the cultivator and the fronts are just along for the ride. Used to seed through short stretches of water with the air seeder.

All things being equal if the 875 was a mint 1 owner and the 946 was a little rougher well used machine I'd pick the 875 every time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.