The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are currently looking at purchasing our first combine and it happens to be a MF 8780 XP. Just curious if anyone out there has much experience with these machines, knowledge of their reliability, common problems or weaknesses, etc.?
The machine has 3000 engine hours and 2000 on the rotor.
Thanks so much for any replies!!

·
Registered
924 Posts
as far as machine they are a good combine they had a few electrical gremlins with the console when new but after that they seemed to solve there problem. they give an excellent sample very good capacity with minimal loss. if taken care of should be trouble free. just make sure no stones have gone through, and if they did it's been fixed as that can get expensive. a neighbor picked up a 8570 with 3400 hours and basically went straight to the field with it and had no problems.

·
Registered
409 Posts
One thing to remember is that it has a Cummins engine and your AGCO dealer will be little, if any help. You will have to go to a Cummins dealer for support. Also the fan belt pulley is built out of too light material and is known to break. You will be very fortunate if the blade does not damage the radiator when this happens, and IMO there is a 50% chance it will.

·
Registered
924 Posts
One thing to remember is that it has a Cummins engine and your AGCO dealer will be little, if any help. You will have to go to a Cummins dealer for support. Also the fan belt pulley is built out of too light material and is known to break. You will be very fortunate if the blade does not damage the radiator when this happens, and IMO there is a 50% chance it will.
well I guess I've been lucky and so has the neighbor our old 8570 and 9690 both with cummins and the neighbor's 8560 (5.9 l)and 8570 never had an issue.

just wondering is that pulley any different then what CIH used on there combines or I have a Freightliner FL80 and CIH 9240 with same engine. now you got me worried.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
This was very common in the case IH side of things.. Happened to a 2388.
The pully bearing would fail, take out the entire radiator stack. It was a fix as they break update... Very costly to the owner. They had updates, but you had to know it was an issue to get the update otherwise they would put in the old set up again, plus two new radiators.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had two 8570's and one 9690 and they were by far the best things I ever got rid of. I had the fan go through the rad and there was no rad available in the world. I'm dead serious on that. Had to get it rebuilt and that took ten days and then it leaked the next year and had to take it all out again(not masseys fault). I changed at least 7 electric clutches on the feeder or rotor drive at $1500 each. Had a fuel pump go $6000 and had to deal with cummins. To many bearings to count and that super long rotor with the rub bars that run full length really don't pull the residue through like other style rotors. Bought a 7010 case and a 9770 since and have had less then ten hours of fixing on them in the last four years. You also can't find a header for an agco. They have a rotor reverser because with that rotor you need it. Stay very far away from agco equipment. I hardly ever made a day without fixing one of them. They have all disappeared from are area. I could go on for days about the problems these things had but I think you get the point.

·
Registered
560 Posts
We had a pair of 8780s. Put 4300hrs on one and 3600hrs on the other. Last I heard both are still taking crops off every year. Very good combines.
I hope these lexion combines last that long but I have my doubts

·
Registered
924 Posts
well chainsaw I don't know what kind of lemons you got but in our area there are 6 Mf rotors and none of them have had your issues. I owned a 8570 and traded it in at 2445 hr. with no seasonal down time. put on about 185 hrs. per season. I own a 9795 with 696 hrs. on it now and haven't replaced a single bearing on it. I picked up a 9690 for a second combine last year with 1984 hrs. on it. Checked it out before harvest cost me nothing in repairs put 154 hrs. on it with no break downs! The neighbor runs a 8780 xp with 3600 hours and a 8570 with 4300 hrs . and tells me they both are good and would recommend them. Th other guy has a 8570 with 3200 hrs. and 8560 3900 hrs. he too loves the 8570 but says the 8560 is under powered and poor cooling system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.