The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 88 Ford 9000 tandem grain truck with 3406 cat. Great truck but lately has been giving me issues. Truck starts and runs good. Runs good when empty, but put a load on it and I cannot get it to run in any gear above 5th. Truck has no power and cannot get revs above 1300. Feels like it is short on fuel. Go back down to 4th & 5th and I can get 1500 rpms. Have changed all the fuel filters but did not help.
Weird thing is when it is empty I can get it top gear and runs at 1500 rpm no problem some times. Next time it feels like it is short on fuel and is struggling to keep the RPMs up. Has anyone else ran into this problem ? Thanks for your help.

Unknown number of Kms and hours on truck. Had the injectors done last year as I was getting a bit of fuel in oil and a mechanic said start there. If that does not help pump o rings are likely a little weak. Injectors helped.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
You can check all the rubber/non steel fuel lines from the tank, sometimes they rot from the inside and cause restrictions, also check the suction stand pipe in the tank for restrictions or even cracks that may be allowing air to be drawn in.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
X2 on checking fuel lines from the tank. They aren't hard nor expensive to change. They can collapse under suction restricting flow. Check out the heavy duty discussion forums over at thedieselgarage.com lots of guys there with a lot of knowledge on highway tractors and fixing them. Lots of great help here but even more over there when it comes to trucks.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Check inside your fuel tanks, you might have something floating around in there that is blocking your suction. Make sure you don't have another fuel filter your missing. Have had a few valves flip over in the hand primer pumps and block fuel flow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How about the air filter...salesman delivered a baler to me a few years back and gave me a lift back to the farm 25 miles away for lunch. Couldn`t get his dealer truck over 30ks/hr on the hiway. I asked him a day or two later what they found out to be the trouble with it and he said the air filter was plugged solid..engine wasn`t getting enough air

·
Registered
23 Posts
Easy way to check the fuel flow from the tank is to unhook the fuel line at the filter. Then remove the fill cap, using a rag and blowgun, apply air to the tank and see if you have a full stream of fuel coming from the line. You can do this process to check your flow through the filters to the pump. I have found blockage in the filter housings before as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.