The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to take the clutch of because it keeps slipping. It got real hot. Would I get away with just tightening it and raising the front roller on the feeder house or will the clutch material need replacing ?

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Clutch material? Itn't it just cogs and a spring. Eaither the spring is set loose, cogs are worn, or something is tight.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Clutch material? Itn't it just cogs and a spring. Eaither the spring is set loose, cogs are worn, or something is tight.
Yes, that's right. Two steel rings that each have steel teeth, one connected to the sprocket and the other to the shaft, pushed against each other by a spring.

Unless he is talking about the electric clutch which is not a slip clutch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The slip clutch with the spring blotted to the chain sprocket. I don't think there's any teeth left. I'll have to take it apart and have a look.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The slip clutch with the spring blotted to the chain sprocket. I don't think there's any teeth left. I'll have to take it apart and have a look.
If there are no teeth left, you will have to replace them. I would put up a picture but I can't get pictures to work.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Those are cheap and easy to fix. just spin the nut off the end and remove the spring, etc. The "teeth" are simple ring inserts. If they slip too much, they get polished to a mirror finish, then they won't hold no matter how tight you make the spring. BTDT, never again. Just replace them. The same "tooth ring" is used all over the combine and on lots of other models, so common and $.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I'll build it up with weld and order a new one. Can't afford the down time waiting for parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts