The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New to combining, bought a 1980 8820 this summer went through it and now harvesting soybeans.

Problem is there is a lot of stems and husks in the beans. We have been playing with the settings (we tried going by what the book said first) and cannot seen to change this at all with it.

I can say one thing that our fan speed adjuster is screwed all the way in. but the fan speed is optimal at 550 rpm. maybe time for a new belt? we're starting to run out of options here

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Hello,

New to combining, bought a 1980 8820 this summer went through it and now harvesting soybeans.

Problem is there is a lot of stems and husks in the beans. We have been playing with the settings (we tried going by what the book said first) and cannot seen to change this at all with it.

I can say one thing that our fan speed adjuster is screwed all the way in. but the fan speed is optimal at 550 rpm. maybe time for a new belt? we're starting to run out of options here
speed up cylinder or close concaves or close chaffers....have a 9610 and suggested settings were wwwwwaaaaaay off for what works

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
when your combine is going at operating speed turn the key off. after everything has stopped you can look and see where all your debris is coming from. example is if there is a lot that is under the sieves then you'd close them some.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
On the 8820, look at the alignment of the belt that drives the cleaning fan. On my 8820 I had to make a 3/8" spacer to go between the sprockets and the upper cleaning fan drive pulley. Fixes the lack of cleaning fan speed and brings the belt back into alignment. I could only get 810 out of my cleaning fan and now I can get just over 1100. Fan speed should range from 370 to 1100

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The 550 fan speed is your problem.

Could be a number of things wrong, but my guess would be there is something wrong on the top sheave where the adjustment screw is.

May be as simple as what chance2 said, and that should be an excellent fix, inner sheave wore on shaft can cause issues. There is a roll pin between the two sheave that could cause belt slippage.
Is the belt running at the top of that sheave? As in the outside of belt is at the outer edge of sheave.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry for the late reply, we put some washers in between the uppee sprocket and pulley. before we were getting about 910 max, now with that mod we are gettin 1080 to 1100 fan speed. the grain now it's much much cleaner! it seems to me that I could use a little more fan speed yet. the rpm seems to be maxed out no matter how many washers I put on the pulley. was there a speed up kit for this combine? the fan has four blades in total.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
You can't stack too many washers in behind the upper pulley because the lower pulley will only open up so far. After the lower pulley has stopped opening up, you start putting more and more tension on the belt until you start pulling the secondary countershaft and the fan shaft closer together. At that point, something is bound to break and or bend. If you are getting 1100 RPM you are in Titan 2 country, as that was the upper speed of the cleaning fan on those models. I have often wondered if a 6 or 8 blade fan would pump more air under the chaffer, sounds like a winter project,.....hmmmmm

Good to hear you have a better sample in the hopper. How much trash and free grain in the return with the fan cranked up? Some small sieve and chaffer adjustments should clean up the rest of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.