The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G,day everbody,
I've been running a 8820 for the last 22 years, & am about to step up to a 9760, will i notice any difference? ha... ha, just kidding.
I know nothing about sts's so will be searching all the old threads as i only just found this forum. Is there any basic things i should know? machine is 3years old with 900hrs. Still am a bit confused about the different concaves, one bloke told me he has 2 sets, 1 for wheat & 1 for sorghum(milo), another bloke i know says he pulls wires out for certain crops. Mainly grow sorghum/wheat sometimes chickpea/sunflower/feedcorn.
cheers sixmill

·
Registered
23 Posts
G'day from a fellow Qlder Where are you situated? I would say you would need two sets of concaves in this part of the world if you grow sorghum and wheat I run a Case but I would say same deal with Green ones. Should be double your old header.
cheers craig.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You will the increased capacity with the 9760 over the 8820. So far, we have had good luck with ours. Only down side is they're a pain to work, lol. You would need two sets of concaves. That way, you don't take the time to remove wires. Just swap them and go. Enjoy!

·
Registered
486 Posts
You wil find the 9760 to be a very good header! but watch out for a few things when buying a used one.

1. There is a shaft just behind the fan housing. On it are two offset bearings each side that is connected to the arms that moves the shoe. They have about a thousand hours life expectancy so just change them straight away. If they fail, the header really starts to self destruct. they are about a 100 dollars each, and they are pretty easy to change. and the ramifications of not doing them are way more than a 400$ as it will start to smash the support arms that holds up the entire shoe.

2. You will need a set of the big wire concaves, and a set of small wires.

Put them in as you see fit. In sorghum we are having great succes with running the front and middle ones as small wires and the the rear one as a big wire concave. then we add and remove straps on the the front concave as needed. In really heavy wheat crops we run the same setup, and just open up the concaves wide open, and feed them as hard as we can until the engine starts slowing down on us. That will get you about 40- 42 ton an hour if you got your chaffer and sieve setup right. Dont be afraid to open both up quite a bit when you run it like that, as you will put massive amounts of grain over the louvres, and you therefore will need a fair bit of bypass clearance on them.

3. Have a real good look on the feederhouse chains. They wear out like a ba****d in droughted crops.

4. In a good chickpea crop, you should blow down often and keep a firetruck close as they catch fire like nobody's business.

5. in chickpeas you should keep a real good eye on the bubble auger gearbox, as the top bearing fails quite easyli in that stuff.

6. and finally, keep a feed accelerator belt handy, and a chopper belt handy as they tend to eat trough them fairly easy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that guys, what would happen if i just run the small wires in sorghum to start with until i can get another set? Local dealer wants $1500au each for them & probably take a week to get, Sounds a cheaper alternative just to get a rear one.
craige, mate i'm up in central queensland, near clermont, just finished 800acres of sorghum with the old 8820, when this sts came up for sale, still got another 3000acres to do yet, just started spraying out next paddock today, 9760 will probably turn up this weekend. Will have to organise another road train to help out as we have a 150km round trip to grain depot.

·
Registered
486 Posts
ive got a header just up there right now if you need help! We are stripping at pethulea downs at the moment and got a little bit on Wallton downs to do too. But yell out if you need a hand

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:ive got a header just up there right now if you need help! We are stripping at pethulea downs at the moment and got a little bit on Wallton downs to do too. But yell out if you need a hand
I'll be buggered, we've got a block next door to pethulea, "st clare" be good to catch up & have a rum, did you come up ,or just send a driver? Where just off the highway if your up this way.
Whats with the denmark thing?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yeah i sent a driver up there, at the moment im back in emerald to get rid of some mungbeans, but hopefully ill be up there again friday with a 9660 to do some of that forage stuff he's got growing there. The 9760 wont do it as it can lift the front high enough to make the draper feed properly, but i hope the 9660 will as it got higher tyres and lifts the front nearly 2 foot higher.

If i get a chance ill swing by ya and grab that rum.

The whole Denmark thing is because i am from Denmark. I came to australia in october last year to do a harvest run from emerald to lake bolac, victoria. Liked it so much that i decided to do it again. This time as second in command. Pretty good fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rubberduck,, keep a eye out for our turnoff "IRONBARK" 10km south of Clermont,house up on the hill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts