The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been saving for a combine; neighbour has a good 8820 (1984) for sale. I know it is older but much cheaper than a 9400 or 9500 I was thinking of buying. Whats the pros/cons-I am only a 300 acre spread of corn,soys, wheat-super capacity not an issue

·
Registered
200 Posts
8820 titan 2 has more capacity than a 9500. if the is in good shape and you don't mind sticking a few bucks into it you will still be money ahead than a 9400 or 9500, especially the early ones.
the biggest thing i can thing to check out is the auger pan under the cylinder. make sure it has no holes and is solid where it attaches to the front brace. they are a big job to change. not the hardest to do, but it takes some time. 8820 has lots of power and capacity. if you get a nice one an keep up with bearings, belts ,and chains etc. it should serve you well for a lot of years. not to mention a lot easier to pay for with 3 buck corn again.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
Hopefully it's in good condition, we had trouble, back in the day keeping the sieves/chaffer in once piece. (no we didn't run it empty excessively) The 9500 is alot nicer combine if you can find one in your price range. The 8820 has 40hp more than the 95. But, the 95 has alot nicer cab with the whole armrest console, switches for the auger/unloading controls, cornerpost displays, and alot quieter. It's pretty much a Capacity(8820) vs Luxury(9500) debate.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Yes if its in good shape the 8820 would be my pick as well, the 8820 rivaled the 9600 on most days and the early maximizers were dusty cows at the front end.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
With either one, will you do all the mechanic work yourself? You can't afford to pay the dealer wages on 15 year old machinery. Parts availability is also an issue, don't expect the dealer to have parts on the shelf. Do you have a salvage yard somewhere close by you where can go get parts? How long will you keep the machine (how old will it be when you get rid of it)?

Is the air conditioner R12 and if so, do you have a supply of R12?

If it were me, I'd try to hire out to a neighbor with a machine in return for hiring him to harvest my crops on a timely basis. And I've made that offer to others. Harvest help is darn hard to find for September and October.

I see far to many combines and not near enough trucks to keep them busy.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
For 300 acres you should probably be looking at a 6620. That'd still be plenty big for what you have to cover, not to mention cheaper yet. An 8820 would be absolute overkill. No sense in letting a machine that big go to waste no matter how cheap it is. I don't think you could justify the price of any 8820 for those amount of acres, let alone a 94 or 9500. Unless you want to get into a little bit of custom harvesting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts