The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an axle seal that's leaking really bad. What's the procedure for changing them and what special tools are needed?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hi Andy.

Gee. Normally I break an axle before the seal gives out.

It's really not too hard to pull a planetary. I'm going off memory and can take some pics of the service manual tomorrow.

Jack it up. Remove the wheels Drain the oil. Weld a 3/4" NPT (I believe that's the size) pipe nippple on a pipe or rod that's several feet long. Doesn't need to be that long for removing the planetary cover in this situation but if you need to remove it with the wheels on it is handy. Thread it into the level plug and support it with a hoist or loader outside the wheels and use it as a lever to balance and remove or install the cover. There are pusher bolt holes in the cover.

Then remove the sun gear. Remove the hub bearing nut and pull the hub.

I can check in the morning for the torque specs on the hub bearings.

Make sure to check the axle tubes for cracks below the frame mounts and condition of the planet gears and bearings.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate it!!! That'll be easy now with that info. Do you know where I could find a manual like that. There are lots of service manuals online but no repair manuals that have all this info.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Best is to look on Ebay, thats where two of the three I have come from. There is books that progress thru the Series as in each time they updated the tractors, they updated the book. One of mine is is from that Jensales, just a copy of the original, was somewhat disappointed with that one, as they advertised that is was supposed to cover the Series III, but it don't have anything on the electrical for the candystripes with the electronic dash for example, which was partly why I ordered it. Luckily most of the info it lacks is in the owners manual. I believe they are also still available thru New Holland parts as well.
DId a quick check on Ebay and found one of those Jensales ones here....

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
No problem.

I've also had good luck and bought several through eBay. Might try looking on eBay.com also as I've gotten manuals shipped out of the states. Not all sellers ship across the line though.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Appreciate it!!! That'll be easy now with that info. Do you know where I could find a manual like that. There are lots of service manuals online but no repair manuals that have all this info.
I've got a manual for an 895 also, if you ever need me to send you some pics I can send them to you, if you want to PM me your number I will gladly help out.

I've come to the conclusion, a guy should never buy a piece of equipment without buying the repair manual to go with it. They seem expensive at the time, but if it saves you even one service call, it will pay for itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts