The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of replacing my 895 versatile. The main thing I pull with it is a 40ft air seeder with midrow banders and a 430 bushel cart. It's quite the load for the 895 and I can't pull it in some hills. Loaded it weighs close to 60k lbs. I've also added a 35gpm hydraulic pump to run the dual fan air cart. I have no idea what it's putting out but I figure it's around 360 hp and weighs in at 34000 lbs. I put 710 metrics on it and it pulls great without power hopping. I guess my question is will the newer machines with the smaller engines pull just as well? Seems like tractors with 375 hp use a 9-11 liter engine. Will they pull what an old 895 will turned up? It's also easier to find pto's on the smaller frame machines which would be nice for an air cart. For reference I've looked at Steiger 370 and 400 versatiles.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Sounds like you have your 895 set up to work very well! They are a pretty simple,reliable and economical workhorse as you know! Could you try to find a good 936 to 976 and if it doesn’t have enough hydraulics just switch your 36 gpm pump over. Maybe a Stieger with the 855 would also run your hydraulic pump. All good solid old tractors. Going to newer Versatiles the 375 with good tires and weights would be a nice step up. Those M11s are very good at 375 hp. At 34,000 lbs on your 895, you need to choose carefully to go up in weight. I owned a CIH 9280 that weighed 36,000 dry and then added some cast up to 38,000 and an extra 31 gpm pump. One of the best tractors I have owned. Not sure what your budget is!! LOL!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
We went up from an 895 (still have it, runs every day doing fertilizer) to a ford New Holland 9680. It's a nice step up, has the 855 in it, nice cab, good hydraulics. 350 horse power but could be bumped up.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I've been thinking of replacing my 895 versatile. The main thing I pull with it is a 40ft air seeder with midrow banders and a 430 bushel cart. It's quite the load for the 895 and I can't pull it in some hills. Loaded it weighs close to 60k lbs. I've also added a 35gpm hydraulic pump to run the dual fan air cart. I have no idea what it's putting out but I figure it's around 360 hp and weighs in at 34000 lbs. I put 710 metrics on it and it pulls great without power hopping. I guess my question is will the newer machines with the smaller engines pull just as well? Seems like tractors with 375 hp use a 9-11 liter engine. Will they pull what an old 895 will turned up? It's also easier to find pto's on the smaller frame machines which would be nice for an air cart. For reference I've looked at Steiger 370 and 400 versatiles.
The newer tractors with smaller engines will be more fuel efficient under light loads, but likely won't pull the hills quite as well when comparing the "same" horsepower. My experience is more with Deere than Case or versatile. A good powershift transmission can even the playing field a little bit as well. Some of the smaller engines run better at a higher rpm. No pulling heavy loads with a 9.0 Deere at less than 1900rpm...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I would like to go up a size and get into a 450hp machine or bigger. I'm leaning towards Case IH because I used to work for CNH but am open to others. The problem lies with my air drill and hydraulic requirements. The cart is a p1060 with hydraulic meters and a sd40 Amity drill. I think the standard pumps of 40 gpm will be short. My verstile has two pumps with a total of 58 gpm. Is there a way to tell if Case IH STX machines have the bigger pump? Is there a way to add a pump without breaking the bank? I really like having two pumps and having the air cart isolated. There is no drop in fan speed at all.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
The p1060 cart should be easily supplied with a 40gpm pump. The dual fans take 25 gallon or less of oil. I am not sure what your drill will take for oil. I would buy a tractor that is 50-100 hp more than you need so you are not running it at 100% power.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I tried to run everything off of the 35gpm added pfc pump the fan speed slowed down and would plug at the end of the fields with wheat. I put down around 435lbs of product an acre with midrow band and seed tube. Yes the cart is full tilt at that rate and takes 26 gpm. That left 9 gpm for raising and active down pressure. Is 5 extra gpm going to make it work or am I too close to the edge? So that essentially would leave 14 gpm for active down pressure and raising the drill. It is seriously the best having the air cart isolated.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Part of me thinks I won't be happy until I have the same performance hydraulically as my modified 1984 tractor. Do any newer tractors run two pumps with dedicated remotes to each pump?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Part of me thinks I won't be happy until I have the same performance hydraulically as my modified 1984 tractor. Do any newer tractors run two pumps with dedicated remotes to each pump?
Yes newer tractors run two pumps. The older series NH TJ had that option (mega flow) when they first came out. Case didn't get it till 2011 I think. We had a TJ with it and it worked great for running two fans and an independent opener drill. We have a newer T9 now and the two pump system works better then the older version.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Got a 946 and a 935 here. Love them both. 946 has Hutterite upgrades ( jacked up pump with no data on what was done) Likely 400 hp. Nicest feature is the air pump on the engine and the hose reel on the back. 100 ft of airline with 1/2' hose mounted on the back with a belly airtank. They even mounted some airhorns on top of the cab off a semi which is ball valve operated lol. Scare the **** out of the juice guys because its the last thing they expect! The electric air pump for the seat quit so it is plumbed in with a pressure regulator. The valve for the NH3 is air for safety as well. Many have to lug around that electric compressor that runs off a cig lighter socket. Not me! Can blow out rad and filters. Unplug lines or seed boots with air so much easier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts