The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if I can replace the seals on the side of the transmission where the shifter levers go into it without removing the tranny? Its leaking oil out of both levers and and making a mess. I assume there are bushings in there too that are wore because there is some movement in them. Has anyone done one? If I do have to remove the transmission, how hard is it to do?

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Does anyone know if I can replace the seals on the side of the transmission where the shifter levers go into it without removing the tranny? Its leaking oil out of both levers and and making a mess. I assume there are bushings in there too that are wore because there is some movement in them. Has anyone done one? If I do have to remove the transmission, how hard is it to do?
There are Orings on the shifter on the inside the cover to keep the oil in, and there is no bushing or anything, just the hole thru the cover itself.
Yes the cover can be removed with the transmission still in the tractor, requires the removal of the top mount and a few other items as I recall. It is specifically covered in the service manual if you can access one. With my own, simply because it don't look like a necessarily easy or accessible item for a guy with big shoulders to get up inside there, I'm opting to pull the entire tranny, but then I have slightly bigger fish to fry than leaking shifters with mine. I had wanted to have a look inside just to verify it wasn't something simple;)

As to remove the entire tranny, it's a quite ingenious method I thought, it goes up thru the floor of the cab, the cab is already drilled and tapped to bolt an I-beam across the inside of the roof and you use a chain hoist on a trolley to lift it and slide it outside the cab.

He's most likely off for the holidays, but I'm sure Scott will be able to give some experience based advice, and he might have some some short cuts to boot.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Easiest way, is remove seat and floor pan, yes need to remove top rubber mounted support off cover, one on top and one on bottom, cover has to come out the top, its quite a pita, get a good qrip on it so you don't drop it. As alberta buck mentioned its orings, don't have to drain transmission if its at the full level, when I install I make a couple thread dowels to replace bolts to align cover, with someone underneath, make sure forks line up with sycro's on shaft, I use black rtv sealer, I let it tack up and bolt cover on, Scott.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.