The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,
Dano here with yet another 9600 chopper question. So I heard that it's possible to "Half Chop" straw to bale it. So the straw won't be long, but still balable. Has anyone ever done something like this? and how?
We were thinking maybe by putting the chopper in some position to achieve this, or maybe even taking out half the knifes?

Thanks,

Dano

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
As far as I know, you either chop straw or take the belt off and wind the chopper forward so you can bale. No inbetween. The only time we took knives out was if the combine was struggling for power in heavy crops.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard of people that would partially chop the straw, just wondering how/if this is done.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I switch the fins on the chopper ( left to right ) so it windrows the chopped straw. But I let the cows graze the windrows. I'm sure you could bale longer straw thats gone through the chopper.

·
Registered
347 Posts
We have done it with flax straw. not sue it would work with cereal straw. Might break it up to fine.
We take the knifes out and reposition the fins so it blows the straw into a narrow row.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts