The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, my name is matt and im new to this forum!!
Im hoping that someone on here can help me . Im looking for the name of the company that makes the bottom straw chopper pan with two sets of the 9000 series stationary knives. I found this a while back on google and of course now that im ready to order them and get them on my combine i cant remember the name of the company or where i saw them. hopefully someone can help me thanks in advance my email is [email protected]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
has anyone used the superchop and can attest to how they work??? do you know if they will work on a john deere 8820 combine?? thanks again matt

·
Registered
200 Posts
for the price of those kits i think i would rather get a second knife holder off of a salvage machine and spend 30 minutes using a plasma cutter to cut the holes for it. seems to me it would accomplish the same thing?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Redekop doesn't make anything like the Superchop. They use a single knife bar with tighter knife spacing. So far I haven't seen anything that performs like a Redekop MAV chopper. I'm sure the Superchop will chop it finer but the throw would still be a problem. A MAV will throw it 36 ft.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Maybe, but if you can fit the the whole deal in 30 minutes you should open your own machine shop. You'd make a whole lot more than you would farming.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I don't know what you are going to chop, or if you have a 94XX or 95XX, but 96XX don't have a robust enough drive to handle the knives that are already there. In tough beans or any milo we back the stationary knives out about 1/3 of the way. If the milo is down, back them out 1/2 way.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Maybe, but if you can fit the the whole deal in 30 minutes you should open your own machine shop. You'd make a whole lot more than you would farming.

so where did i say it would take thirty minutes to fit the whole deal??? all i said was about cutting time for the holes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes sorry i live in oregon and i combine mainly grass seed and a little bit of wheat!! we dont have to spread the straw very far as we only have like 14 ft swaths max and usually only a 15ft or 18ft cutting platform as our wheat commonly will hit 150 bu/acre so we have tons and tons of straw!!!! our straw is usually very dry and chops rather easily !!! i have taken an old 7700 extra knife bank and got out the cutting torch and made it fit my 8820 bottom. it wasnt quite wide enough but it definitely helped and the price was right ( free) since i already had it!!!! it took me about 2 or 3 hours and i was really hoping for something that would bolt right on like the superchop!!! I will be purchasing a new fine cut chopper as I just bought a new to me 8820 that doesnt have a chopper!! i was thinking the redekop mav!! anyone have something that works better !! i have 3 other 8820s we run and i want to try and get maximum chopping out of the factory jd choppers as we can no longer burn our waste straw here(
stupid a$$ governor). with some upgrades im hoping to get the stock choppers to get close to the chop quality as a fine cut mav chopper but i dont know how close i can get it?? anyone have any ideas??? i was gonna try and put a thin piece of flat bar in the knife bottom to try and recycle or doublechop some of the straw???? has anyone tries speeding up the factory chopper??? i tried a 7700 chopper pulley on my 8820 which is like 3 inches smaller but i think it turned too fast or my chopper was a bit out of balance cause the whole back end of my combine was a shaking badly!!!!! please give any suggestions you may have I plan on putting on all bevel edge hammers on the chopper rotors and getting them balanced. all my choppers currently just have the standard blunt edge 1/4 inch thick flatbar knife that doesnt cut much just pretty much beets it to death!!!! please help me i have 4 combines to work on and i cant really afford 4 new redekop mave choppers!!!! thanks matt

·
Registered
778 Posts
The 8820 chopper is already turning at 2400 rpm so the speed is fine. You can just put a MAV rotor in and that'll do a great job. A 9000 standard chopper turns at 2150 rpm so it can stand to gain some speed. The easiest and cheapest way is to get a Redekop twin v-belt drive kit. The pulleys slide right on and will increase speed to about 2400 plus you get the extra traction of the double belt. It's the same drive they use on the MAV so if you want to install a MAV rotor later you already have the drives.

The later 9000 rotor bearings that use cast flanges interchange with early 9000 and 20 series bearings. You can also get these from Redekop. It's exactly the same bearing for about $80 less for the pair vs. Deere.

·
Registered
778 Posts
so where did i say it would take thirty minutes to fit the whole deal??? all i said was about cutting time for the holes.

Sorry. Thought you meant the whole install in 30 min.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
any one else got any good ideas????? has anyone ever put something on different than the regular jd flange bearings????

·
Registered
103 Posts
Redekop MAV does a very good job of choping and spreading ,but is costly ,adding a second set of knifes like you did would ceartainly be a cheaper way to go. Did you offset your added knifes from the original?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no i didnt offset them because i think the swinging nives on the rotor would hit them if i tried to offset them!!! so deerefarm what has more knives on the redekop the actual rotor itself or the stationary knives?? thanks matt

·
Registered
103 Posts
Both, the knives are closer and the hammers are mounted in pairs,they also have bent hammers on the end of the roter to create more air flow to help with the spread,which you probably arent concerned with with your narrow cut.The web site for redekop is www.strawchopper.com they have some good pictures there for you.The reason I asked about the offset knives is I think if you could offset, even a little, it would probably improve the cut alot and would be much cheaper than a redekop, but the redekop does do a very good job of choping, however it also takes a noticable amount of horsepower from your machine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts