The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 9120 this season, we have commenced harvest and the air cleaner is blocking up constantly. I am having to clean it out every 4-5 hours which means a lot of down time!!

Has anyone experienced the same problem and if so did you come up with any solutions. ??

·
Registered
41 Posts
We had that problem on our 98 8010 this year. It turned out the venturi's were plugged in the aspirator. We took everything apart and blew it out and that seemed to take care of it. Our problem was in soybeans.

·
Registered
178 Posts
hi aussieb my 8120 having trouble with the air cleaner as well had the machanic out last week and they found out it had the wrong muffler on it so they ordered a new one in, had to put a new air cleaner in today and plugged up with in 2 hour so had them out to fit the new one and ive done around 5 hours and not a thing in the cleaner now. so hopefully that has solved the problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My cousin's 8120 was having same problem, found the rotary screen seal had a large gap letting chaff suck right in, it wasn't set right. He adjusted it and zero problems after doing this.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Had the same problem on our 08 8010 and have heard of 8120&9120's with the same problem. The isue is the aspirator we had the shop come out and vacuum test ours, supposed to have 25 inches of vacuum minimum!! Ours has 5 so case is now apparently aware of the problem and working on a new muffler with a better aspirator. I went to the local muffler shop and had them make me aspirator that bolts on the top of the muffler and connected the hose to it, meanwhile I blocked the hole in the muffler where it previously hooked up to. It now resembles the old style ones on the 2388 and such, haven't tried it cause we are done but hopefully they will come up with something before next harvest!!! Another example of poor R&D!!
P.S.
Our 8010 was down on power earlier in harvest and we took apart the venturi and the holes were half plugged with chaff. All seals were inspected and silicone used EVERYWHERE!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since posting this we have found out that it is not the rotary screen. The problem seems to lie with the aspirator not removing the very small particles of dust. The air cleaner has blocked after 2 hours work, harvesting lentils. Modifications have been made to the exhaust venturi by blocking the existing muffler and putting a venturi on the end of the existing exhaust. Now getting one day before cleaning, harvesting barley. This however is still not removing the very small particles. Needs ditching and replacing with an 8010 air cleaner... too hard basket for CASE IH.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
have to agree with you aussieb we had the same problem on our 7010 fixed by case after a while we were only getting 1/2 day out of the air cleaners this year but we put it down to the red dust that was on every thing.
hope it works out for you

·
Registered
119 Posts
Had the same problem on my 8120 s. Tried adjusting the rotary screen door, but no luck. What we did discover is there is a gap that allows chaff and straw to enter the rad box around the internal brackets that hold the rad in place. The brackets are located on the inside of the rad box. Open the rotary screen door and look inside around the corner of the rad box and there is a bracket that goes from the bottom to the top of the rad on both of the vertical sides. I believe the brackets are painted black. We run a bead of silicon on both sides and it did band aid the problem for now. Cleaning the filter every 14 - 16 hours verses 3 hours. We spotted this by noticing straw between the bracket and the rad box. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Had my 08 8010 plug the air filter daily or sooner if real dusty. Gave a list of problems to the service rep in last week of warranty. Now they have finally found a "assist" from CIH that talks about the "25 inches of vacuum minimum". But they say the cost of fix is on my nickel. Anyone getting real help??

·
Registered
37 Posts
The 08 8010s did not have enough vacuum, so the mufflers were replaced with the same one used on the 7010. The 8120s however produce more horsepower than the 8010s did, so can't put the muffler from a 7010 on as it will get hotter than it did on the 8010 and may start fires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
we have a 08 8010 and we fitted a 5inch steel pipe up 5ft from air cleaner suction near radiator with a pre cleaner on top(blocked off suction from radiator) this then sucks from about level with top of grain tank still not high enough imo as dust still swirls around it in some conditions but if was 2to3ft higher again would work well. wehave to change air cleaner every day stiill but full of dust only not twice /day and full of dust and chaff.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I can't believe some of you guys. Your air filter is plugging once a day or even more often then that and you are not screaming at someone at CNH. I have owned from 1680's right up to 2588's and just ordered our 7088 for 2010 harvest. I have had some minor problems over the years but if I was having the problems you guys are having I would call my dealer everyday and if they can't help find out who is next in the chain of command and keep going up the ladder until you get some results.
We pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for this equipment you would think that it would go for a day before you have to blow an air filter.

The first place to start is go to the CNH web site and send an email explain your problem, tell them your dealer and how they have or have not helped you and you will get a response. Then work from their and you will get some sort of help with warranty or recalls.

OK rant over

1 - 16 of 16 Posts