The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9120 has been performing flawlessly. I have 80 hrs on it now. It has so many improvements, it would be a long list. was wondering if their was any Mac Don experts on here. my 2162 (FD70) needs some adjusting and I don't know really how to go about it. still does fine job but I think it could be a little better. a buddy of mine has a new one on a 2588 and hates it. won't float and no one has been able to figure it out. stay safe FT

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Hi

We been selling the Mcdon draper headers for a while and most everyone says they are the best thing since sliced bread.
Move quit a few every year.
We even sell 4 to 6 a year to JD combine owners.I don't really know how they do it but seem to cut very low and close in beans,work great in down rice .
You ad the float optimizer and it really floats like a dream in bean harvest .

Maxie

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
leave the head off the ground 10 inches and there are some white indicators that you have to make sure are in the notch in the frame...if not tighten the springs evenly to get it adjusted...

were still not in beans yet but will be shortly so i'll get brushed up more then

·
Registered
809 Posts
They should have a warning decal on each side of the Mac Don draper.....if you don't know what you're doing do not try to adjust. You can take a header that's doing a poor job and make it so that it almost stops working with a couple of turns the wrong way on a spring bolt or wing bolt. The manual could be a little clearer too......which way do you turn that bolt to lower the wings?

On the combine side if you don't have the face plate adjusted right on the feeder house that can be a problem with CIH combines.

Also the 2162 and the 2062 are two very different headers.

What won't your 2162 do that you want it to FT?

And what won't the neighbors do? By "won't float" do you mean the whole head or the wings? And what model is he running the 2062 or the 2162?

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
both are 2162's found out last night that mine was running in return to cut. pot must be bad. seems to me when I put the long wrench on, the wing linkage one side is loose one is stiff. I think once I put the new pot on it will work just fine. my buddies 2162 on the 2588. won't float over the ground, wants to push. he says it won't cut very close either. dealer found the knife drive running slow. any tips on setting the picture frame? two other new ones around here both working great.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Our 2162 has been a picture of how it is supposed to work. I don't recall being as impressed by a piece of equipment before. Farmertony is the 2588 running in the same field with you? I can't tell if field conditions could be ruled out. We have only had ours in no-tilled 8" drilled soybeans. We only have a pushing issue when running perpendicular across last years corn rows. (Even calling that an issue is getting pretty nit picky so far.)

Has anyone with a 2162 been to a draper school outside of your dealer network? I have heard there were full (filled) school opportunities available this past summer, but not heard if any were worthwhile? As we continue to accrue hours and acres I am less concerned about our ability to diagnose and correct an issue with the head, but had she not worked out of the box I know I wouldn't have this (maybe false) confidence.

I have heard outstanding things on this site about MacDon's customer service on their product. My concern is as CNH is selling these things like hotcakes how on par is their customer support of MacDon's product? At this point in our experience the product has performed so well customer support has not been necessary. I was less concerned about this until our parts guy let us know the sickle sections are backordered.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Case has some issues they need to work out with the MacDon partnership. We run a 2062 and last fall sections through Case cost 2.54. The local JD dealer got the rights to sell MacDon so we went back there and sections from them cost 1.64 and they were the exact same section. The only difference was that the sections from Case came in a CNH box and the ones from JD came in a MacDon box. Found out last winter that Case has a direct ship # for sections for those heads and we picked some of them up earlier this week and they were 1.22 a section and looked to be a better section but time will tell. The same thing happened last fall Case got sold out of sections and they were back ordered.

Doing wheat this summer had the center draper cause some problems. The rib on the underside to guide it decided it didn't want to be attached to the draper anymore and should wrap around the front roller. Called 3 different Case dealers that all have sold draper heads and nobody had a belt. Checked the system and they were backordered. Called the JD dealer they only had side belts checked the system there was one in Regina. This happened at 5 on Thursday by 3 Friday afternoon we had a new center draper and it was a 100 bucks cheaper than what Case wanted.

I think what happens is that Case puts in a yearly order for what they think they will need and once that is gone it goes on back order. I was told by a salesman last spring that you could not order a Case or New Holland draper and get it in '08 but you could order a MacDon and have it by the end of the month. They are a great head and we love ours but CASE HAS SOME PROBLEMS THEY NEED TO WORK OUT WHEN IT COMES TO PARTS AVAILABILITY AND PRICING.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with all that no sections. parts all back ordered. my belts have had the problem of pulling the edge off as well. last year and this. turned it over, hope it works all season. I think my buddy got his to working I spead my knife up and it works better yet. 9120 is flawless. having a great season so far.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
neil from macdon was here today and fixed her all up. was all out of whack. worked ok but better now alot better. I don't think it was ever right Thanks Mac Don

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it is dam complicated should be in the book but he said some off them aren't because you aren't suppose to mess with it. contact MacDon they will come work on it

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
close don but not what my guy did. or maybe just how they did it . I coiuld do it just couldn't tell you how. FT

·
Registered
129 Posts
farmertony,
I would love to here the improvements you talk about with the new machine. Would you consider a new thread and let us in on your opinions?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts