The Combine Forum banner

9120 Small tube or AFX??

5K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  dykercaseih 
#1 ·
Tomorrow is the last day I can make changes to my combine order. Think I will up to the 9120 so I have plenty of power to run the Magnacut in my sometimes tough irrigated wheat, peas and canola. Question is should I get the ST rotor or the AFX?? Is the ST harder to control rotor loss in dryer conditions and/or not full capacity dryland crops? Is the extended wear rotor worth the price?

#3 ·
I ran my9120 small tube in dry wheat, tuff wheat and extra tuff conditions "night time" and thats where it shined. Rotor congestion seemed to be eliminated. The limiting factor at times was the rock trap. I was also asked about fuel consumption by a 8010 owner and my per hour use was less than his. We also had good luck with it in corn also thats where reps thought the sp rotor would be a little sensitive

#6 ·
We have 2 8010's. One with a small tube and one with a regular AFX rotor. We harvest mostly tough cereals and oil seed. The capacity is about the same in dry conditions but when it gets tough the small tube will pull away, alot less pounding and uses less power. We do have more white caps in the small tube and need to add hardthreash concaves in the front. My next combines will both have small tubes.

#7 ·
we used to run 8010s and this year had two 9120s with the small tube rotor. Conditions this year for entire crop other then the peas and barley were basically combining in drizzle and crap conditions, until the end when it actually almost neared dry again. We had the hard thrash kit in the 9120s and small tube rotor. This combo worked unreal in wheat and canary. Infinity wheat is very tough to thrash but there is still next to nothing for white heads in the tank and excellent quality. We took most of this off at over 20 percent moisture, and those combines ran just under 3 miles an hour with 36 foot headers in 100 bushel wheat. We also have the mega chopper and it still destroyed the straw to nothing with that tough of conditions. This however is not a place to bring the neighbours over for a demo cause with that conditions and cutting up the straw, well lets say the 9120s ate fuel!! lol But we were really harvesting two crops in one so if you look at it that way it was not too bad.
The one thing I really liked with that rotor was there was no banging what so ever, even in terrible oats that were soggy in places! Case has come along way from the initial 8010, was thrilled with our 9120s this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.