The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how the 8.1l would handle as far as horsepower. The newer 9230 and 9360r have very similar displacement.
Options of finding a new planter tractor had thinning quickly. Does anyone have any experience with the horsepower capabilities of the 9120 Deere? Can it be chipped to say 325? Is the 280 engine HP stronger then expected?

Our 4955 pulls the planter well in normal conditions but is maxed out at that.. Its pushing 250 HP now but when it gets tuff, let's just say with the PTO running hydrolic pump, she's maxed out.
I know a 9330 stieger is to small, (physically). And 9350s don't exist. Stx 325 had fuel problems and a 330 may be out of my price range. A 9220 Deere is ideal but finding one is nutz.. (3pt, PTO, power shift). So I am looking into the 9120 Deere?

Any help?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think you will find that the 9120 will have a far better torque curve compared to your 4955. We went from using a cranked up 8640 and 8650 to a 9200 a couple of years ago and even though they dyno around the same power the 9200 will just keep lugging where we use to have to stop and shift ranges with the old tractors. The only issue we run into now is losing traction but a new set of modern radials will fix that

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's the difference between a 9200 and a 9120 then... The 10l vs the 8.1l. Will there be a large noticeable difference.
I would really rather have the 9220 but the 12.5l are not know for reliability in any size. Injector cups are very common.. 20k repair a lot of times.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Kinda the first time hearing the 12.5 is not reliable. Aside from injector cups at between 3000-4000 hours, mine and everyone else's have been good. Not a very expensive fix either. Our 9200 with the 10.5 has also been quite good, but others say it's got poor reliability. Any luck finding day a 9320 or so. Just horsepower difference really. The 20 series from 2 up are all 13.5 liter.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
If you need more power for cheap, just wait. $2 corn is going to cut the price of used iron by as much as 50%. Do your shopping in March.

Hold out for a 8R. I plant with a 8320R, and I also have a 9520. There is no comparison in ride quality. I'd rather work 12 hours in the 8R than 6 hours in the 9520. The front suspension makes that much difference.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Had to do injectors and cups in a 12.5L in our 9520 this spring. Dealer hauled it in and had it back 2 days later at a cost of around $12,000.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 8r series is out in my mind due to my spring conditions...
Power may not be an issue but weight distribution and floatation are.
Two years in a row, the only reason we got everything in was because the 8850 got hooked to a 24 foot disk... Conditions drive my choice of an articulate over a mechanical front.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If a 4955 can get across your soil why not an 8r? If you lunch a CAPS fuel pump on a stx325 area diesel will set you up with mechanical injection for $7100.

Area says they can't on the 325 because the transmissions programing needs to be changed.. It surges into gear to make sure you don't snub the engine... Revs up a little automatically... I looked into it and haven't gotten any further. . I would need to talk to someone who has done that to make sure it can be done properly.
The 4955 usually only gets across 75% before its pulled out hourly..

Its not the 8r wouldn't do it, but I don't want to have to climb around saddle tanks every time I need to get in and off the tractor... Mostly because we are filling every 20-25 acres... Its a habit I want to avoid. That and the 8r is about 80k-120k more then the articulates I am looking at.
Thier is a reason why you see more articulates then ever pulling corn planters where an 8r would have enough power... Overall pull

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.