The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to case combines and wondering what combination of concaves I need to have for a 9230 I just bought. Currently it is set up for wheat with 2 hard thresh concaves . My crops are 50% canola, 20% wheat, 20% oats and 10% barley. What combination of concaves do I need or what you would use? TIA.
For wheat it is set up with
Left front to back Hard thresh, Small wire, Large wire. Large wire
Right front to back, Small wire, Hard thresh, Large wire , Large wire.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
This is how we run case combines. I usually don't change left and right sides to be different. You could change slotted for large wire I suppose, but around here they come with slotted and works well in the separating side.

Row 1 - 4
Wheat
Hard thresh, small wire, slotted, slotted

Oats
Hard thresh, large wire, slotted, slotted

Barley
Small wire, large wire, slotted, slotted

Canola
Small wire, small wire, hard thresh, small wire

For canola, we find that all 4 rows to be small wire to be most efficient on most years. However it changes so much. I use the hard thresh as a small wire concave in the separating area. You want to keep straw and pods as much as possible through the rotor and not drop them onto sieves, this increases capacity and not overload the sieves so much. There is a fine line here as well, can't over thresh so fast rotor speed and tighter concave setting to get crop through quickly is a must.

Other things you should be getting. Chopper cover plate. Its a cover plate that goes over a grate just before chopper. Get the kit and never take it out, unless you plan on doing 200 bushel corn. Manual residue deflector kit, goes behind rotor, helps even the straw and chaff from building up on right side.

Also check out this site, it's NOT official case site but it has a lot of god info from someone that really knows what hes doing.

Harvesting Tips | Case IH Harvesting

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Case tech was over today for orientation on 9230. For the most part he said most customers do not change their concaves very often when combining wheat, barley oats and canola with a hard thresh, small wire and 2 large wire.In high yielding oats he said a extra large wire would help. Made part of a round in my canola field only to find out that it is not mature enough and testing :eek: 14.5%. Moved over to my neighbors place and combined for a couple of hours to get the feel of the combine and get everything calibrated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts