The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have an 05 R65 with 30.5L32 fronts and want to order a 9250 draper head. I'm cutting 2/3 soys and 1/3 wheat. The feedback from previous posts on the high skid shoes seems to be all over the map. But it sounds like that for my vintage of combine that I should order the low profile skids and also a wedge kit. On the gleaner build & quote page I don't see a "wedge kit" option though? Is this ordered thru parts and not a factory option?

For guys that have ran the 9250 on both types of skids what are your opinions?

·
Registered
546 Posts
When I had the R76 with the 4 inch risers the low skids would push leaves really bad early and late when moister was on them. Had to run it tilted back to not push during dry conditions but then would drag the backside of header in the center and before you knew it you had a big mess under neath. It even had the wedge kit, wouldn't work at all without it. The next fall we put the high skids on and it helped alot, now we could run the head tilted at any angle and do a good job and wouldn't push and drag anymore. If you don't have the 4 inch risers on your machine you might can run the low riser, someone else may can tell you for sure. Hope this helps. Great head by the way!

·
Registered
124 Posts
No pics of the wedge kit but the are just tapered pieces of metal around an inch square that go between the shoe and the flex bar they bolt to just take the bolt out put the piece in I think they come with bolts also

·
Registered
410 Posts
We have a 9250 on a '98 R72. First year with low skids it was a nightmare for pushing up. Put the high skids on for the next. Pushing was minimal but we cut the beans off 4" high or higher. If you tilted the head you could cut beans off half way close to the ground but still to high. Also the sickle guards were at such an angle to the ground we stuck it in the ground on some small ditches an bent the snot out of the arms that the cutter bar actually bolts to. The ones that have the hydraulic cylinder on the backside of the head. We built our own wedge kit that tab speaks of and it helped a lot with the high skids. Guards weren't at such a hard angle to the ground. 3rd year we put the low skids back on with the wedge kit an that works well for us. Threw the high skid stuff away. I think the wedges are 5 degree if I remember right. I would like to try 7 or 8 degree but don't want to mess with building them. They are a pain to machine a set. Conditions are different everywhere and the ideas of operators on what is good or acceptable. For us low skids with wedges are the ticket. Will still push up some in double crop beans but when it gets bad we shouldn't be cutting anyway, it's to damp.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks tin man . I just looked up agco parts and the 5 degree wedge kit is listed for the cutter bar but the pictures (graphics) kind of suck so it's hard to tell what they actually look like. Good to hear that they do the job though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here is a small picture taken from the install instructions for these wedge kits. The part number for the kit is 71462622. Some people put two kits per header to tilt the cutter bar up. In its standard configuration the guards really point down and work very well in picking up rocks.

Jeff

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tin Man and WHY NOT,

Another question...How and where did you guys plumb your draper head tilt for your r72 and r65?
Talking to a dealer today and he was unsure that the early r65's would have this extra hydraulic outlet so what do you do?

·
Registered
29 Posts
fhb, there was a kit to add valve to stack,hoses, and cab controls for your machine to adapt 9250 head. Dealer said its no longer available and would have to order thru parts. Maybe you could find a dealer with one in inventory. Save a bunch of money. We just got a used 9250 and putting it on R65. Chart says you will use low skids.

·
Registered
410 Posts
FHB, as meadowgreen said there was a kit. Not possible to install kit by the instructions provided especially on our old machine. You can get the valve for the stack off a salvage machine at junk yard. It's same valve as one of the ones already in the stack. This valve, a couple of electrical rocker switches is all you need and knowledge of where to hook them. We already had single point connection on our machine. Right off I can't remember how we wired it up. Have to go look. One switch will operate a valve already on the header that diverts the oil for raising an lowering the reel to loosen or stiffen the cutter bar. The other switch will be wired in to tilt the head fore or aft. This switch wires into to the new valve in the stack.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just bums me out that all these "kits" are only available for a limited time and then their gone and then you have to pay 30-40% more thru parts. I mean the 9250 has only been out 3-4 years, so why not continue offering the "kits":confused:....guess thats another thread/rant...LOL::D:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys. Good info!

Now if I could just get the dealer to drop the 9250 price given the recent prices of corn and beans...I might have a 9250 sooner than later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts