The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to trade for a draper header still kicking around the idea of a mac don but mainly looking at the 9250. Looking at used headers what changes have been made on what year models? Any year models to avoid? Are there many improvements to the newest ones? Going on 08 R65.

Thanks

·
Registered
536 Posts
Mine was one of the first year models,'10 with abought 100 hours on it. It had the low skid shoes and would push when damp. That winter put the high skids on and loved it, cut low and hardly ever pushed. In four seasons put 6 draper bearings in. Make sure if you get one it has the updated shear bolts to protect the sickel drives, I made my own because they weren't under warranty and they worked fine. If you don't have latteral tllt I wouldn't go any longer than the 30'.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think 12' is when they came factory with high skids, thats what ours is. We are still waiting on an update kit for the draper drives on the outsides that help beef up where the sprockets meet up to drive the belts. They vibrate enough where we actually snapped a bracket under the belt. We haven't had a bearing go yet own ours lucky but we have only had it for a year. Its a 30ft 12 model. That bracket breaking was our only problem

·
Registered
390 Posts
How do you cut close to the ground with the high skids? Ours is an 09 I think and hand the low skids. Pushed bad in the right conditions. We got the high skid update and put it on. Pushing up issues were reduced by 90% but in order to cut the beans off close to the ground we had to run the head tilted all the way forward and then it was like trying push a garden rake across the field. Guards were at such a hard angle to the ground they would catch in a low spot and dig in the dirt. We bent the snot out of the arms that actually hold the cutter bar 2-3 times. The points of the guards were closer to the ground than the skids. We put the low skids back on with the wedges between the cutter bar at supports and this works well for us. I would like to try some 6-7 degree wedges but don't feel like making them again. Ours is a 35 footer on a 98 model 72.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Tin Man we had the same problems on our 09 A66. I talked to the factory rep at NFMS, I think his name was John Keller. He said he recommends the low skids with wedges on all older machines that don't have the high axles. He said there was a memo sent out not to change them on older machines. I don't think the memo got out to many people. It sure doesn't take long to fill that draper with dirt and it's amazing how heavy it is when you're digging it off by hand.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Rburk, I had so much dirt one time the head wouldn't raise. I built our wedges myself in 2012 an 3 sets for our dealer. They weren't available yet from AGCO. I had to tear the head down before harvest this fall to try and get things straightened out. It's not as good as it was when new but it's real close.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Tin Man we traded combines and got a new massey 9540 with 620x42 duals so maybe the skids won't cut too high. We need to update the bevel gear support. We had one side break like Why Not. The bevel gears also need replaced. Also we never got the drive shearbolt update. We have a 2011 35ft.

·
Registered
373 Posts
At Louisville we talked with a young [to me] service rep who new a lot about the draper head. He said you should run lower pressure on the haed and let the combine auto header hight control carry more weight. He recommended @ 400psi. The first year we ran @ 600-800 psi with the low skids. Last year we ran 800-900 with the high skids. We wore the plastic off the ends both years. He said this would help that wear. I was wondering what others run. I told him that the cylinders were leaking. He said that was probably caused by running wheat. He recommended pinning the head up for wheat, but make sure to get new hard pins. Because the factory pins are too soft and bend and are terrible to remove then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts