The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
We bought a 9250 in 2011. It had the low skids. We liked the way it cut on our A66 combine. That winter they did an upgrade to the high skids. We didn't like it. We had to tilt it way forward to cut close. It would dig in the dirt and scoop up rocks. My neighbor ordered a new 9250 this year and I advised him to get the low skids with the wedge kit. We traded combines and now have a 9540 Massey. With the taller tires it is a little better but we are going to put the wedge kit on next year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I prefer the high skids it keeps the cutterbar out of onions and green stuff as bad allowing to be able to run later at night. It also wont pick up rocks and sticks as bad. I have some loss in real short wheat beans, but couldnt get them to feed with 8200 either. the high skids will cut about like a macdon fd70. I did get the wedge kit under the cutterbar to straighten the sickle out a little. this is on a 77 but I dont think (after running one) it would matter if combine was tall or not

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a decision to make soon to which one to get. I ran the low skids four years ago on a tall R76 with 42 inch duals,with the wedge kit behind the feeder house opening. It would shave the ground and do a good job in dry conditions but when damp early and late in the day would push really bad. That winter we put on the up-dated high skids, it was a lot better, didn't push at all. Now I'm getting a 88 with 38 inch duals and the rep from Agco has got me convinced that the low ones are the better choice. I no it will shave the ground better, just don't want to go through what we went through with the pushing of leaves and dirt like before. Any one running that set-up, and how do you like it, thanks for everyones comments.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
We mainly have these heads on the newer taller machines. We prefer the short skids like the first production heads had due to being able to cut on the dirt. We need to cut on dirt due to edible and sometimes soys being on the ground. What I would like to do is install stops in cylinders to prevent the guys from adjusting anything less than zero on guide. If you want to such up the bean pods on dirt than install air bar. We did this to one and it makes quite the perfect head. I have not played with the feeder house wedge as of yet so can not comment on this. What I like to do is adjust pressure and watch cutterbar. It should start to raise or lower at very close to same time all the way accross. You can adjust pins at cylinders to adjust for this. Also Gleaner is changing size of end rams and working on design of side skids as we talk

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I really like your guys setup with the feeder tilt frame, low skids, and the cutterbar wedges to tilt it back on the tall machines. I like to run the pins for cylinders rearward to get a little more leverage so posiblly run less hydraulic pressure and be more sensitive. This should make it more sensative and prevent pushing. With this setup I would note what to close to ground it is and then mark the tilt rams. After this I would disassemble cylinder and install spacers to prevent tipping to far. I think as a munufacture a skid half way between high and low skids would work well for most everybody. Maybe what is coming on generation two Dynaflex

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
And why cant they just have a hydraulic cutterbar adjustment like the macdon... Slight subframe piviot?
The dynaflex does have back and forth tilt like macdon, it works great. The main problem I had this fall was with the high skids we had to run tilt all the way forward to cut close to ground. Did a great job only you had to really watch hitting waterfurs straight on or it would un-flex and dig into it. Bent 4 flex arms, had to take out and take to a press, 3 hours downtime, the only problem we had in 350 sep. hrs. on S78, great machine by the way. If we had put rear feeder wedge like our last head we would not of had that problem, ran it 3 years on same ground and never looked back. To make matters worse we got the sch. guards that point down a little instead of up like the high capacity one does. Dan, with the set-up that we are getting do you think I'll have problems pushing? Dan, I have also said that they should make a skid in-between high and low.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have a hunch you will like the low skids again. You have likely got used to the possible adjustments. Don't know if you had a particular area that was pushing but maybe could of been fine tuned. There is some chance adjusting offset for lateral tilt could of been tweaked if one side bothered. I don't know how tall the 38" rubber will be but I would vote short skids. I think alot of machines didn't even have the pressure gauge so they had very little idea how much pressure they had on the ground and wouldn't have been able to fine tune like they should. As we know this can all be a little challenging for the experienced operator in some conditions and then you have some turn key operators.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank's Dan, you just made me feel like I made the right choice. Both heads had the pressure gage, just wish it would stay clean so you can see it longer than 30 minutes, along with the tilt gage, maybe if they were located a little higher would help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts