The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a 9370 steiger with 6000hr on it, I have two wheel seals leaking one at the front and one at the back. I was thinking of maybe doing all four and reversing planetrys aswell, do I move planetrys diagonally or from one side to the other?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would switch them left to right on the same axle, but diagonal would be the same difference for getting new sides of the gears. I did bearings and seals on one corner of my 9280 this summer. I am hoping not to have to do the other three it wasn't much fun. Big Tractor parts was very useful for some parts but I was able to buy *** bearings much cheaper from a local bearing store.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Steiger axel seals

ive got a 9370 steiger with 6000hr on it, I have two wheel seals leaking one at the front and one at the back. I was thinking of maybe doing all four and reversing planetrys aswell, do I move planetrys diagonally or from one side to the other?
When these seals fail does it have anything to do with the pile of dirt that builds up on top of the axel and that the seal then has to run in all the time? I had to change one once on a CM225. It looked like the rubber on the seal was damaged some, maybe because of the dirt pile. I made 4 dirt shields out of 1/8 x 2" flat bar and pop riveted a strip of rubber belting onto each steel strip. I clamped one onto each axel end with a big hose clamp where the wheel hub turns and it seems to work very well since then. The rubber just rubs on the flat part of the wheel hub and any dust that gets in under the shield just falls out the bottom half that is still open. The pile of dirt does not feed directly into the seal area.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
we ran a 9380 and I would just go one side directly to the other or take a close look at the parts book, I recall something strange about the back axle being diff with that lube system and make sure you use hydraulic oil in them planetarys some guys try to use gear lube

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.