The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hello guys and gals, from here in South Carolina. I'm new to the site. Theres a lot of good content here.

Down to my problem.
Went to pull our machine into the shop to do some maintenance for the upcoming corn season. It had been out in the yard being washed off and cleaned up. Fired up. Put it in gear. Went to raise the header, and nothing happens. The feederhouse will not raise or lower. Luckily it was a few feet off the ground and i could move it into the shop. First thing i checked was to make sure something else wasn't switched on, causing me to be locked out of feederhouse height control. Next, I pulled the switch to check for power and output. Found the connector under the arm rest and i've got no power at any of the pins. It leads into a wiring harness and i'm lost from there. Any suggestions on where to look next? I'm guessing some water must of got to something. I don't have a schematic on hand to trace it out.

Thanks for any suggestions. Y'all be good, ya hear?

·
Registered
193 Posts
There are a couple of relay type solenoids behind the door of your grain tank sample area, they are in the black box. You will have to look in your operators manual and it should tell you which one is what.

I had one go bad on me so i could only raise the feederhouse, there are two solenoids for this, one for up one for down, just so it don't confuse you like it did me.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Slyyck,

I pulled the "little black box" out, and looked at some of the relays and dusted it off some. Most of the relays are labeled on the circuit board as to what circuit they operate, but i didn't notice any that stood out as to work the feeder house hydraulics. I've got to go pick a part up for a friends Case IH 2388 first thing in the morning (imagine that). After I get back i'll be sure to give it a closer look. I know there are several electro-hydraulic solenoids on the left hand side of the machine near the hydraulic accumulator. But since im not getting power at my switch, there must be a problem upstream.

Happy Harvestin!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Do you have any other hydraulic functions? When you try to raise the FH do you hear the engine labor any? Might be the header switch, logic module, solenoid valve, relief valve, or hydraulic pump.
Try to swing out the unload auger. With the machine running can you speed up the cylinder or feeder house?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thor1,

Yezir, all other functions work. The seperator engages, the header engages, the unloading auger swings and engages. The engine doesn't change tune when pressing the button. As i say tho, when i unplugged the switch and tested for power i had none at any of the connector pins. This logic module you speak of, where is it?

Have a nice day.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would follow the wires comming from the hydro handle switch. They go under the armrest and I have found them cut of chewed up before. If the auger swings out then the dump valve on the valve stack is working properly.
the logic module is the black box located under the valve stack.
Another thing to check is the coils for magnatism. Look under the gull wing door for the solenoids and their functions. With the engine running and someone holding the header raise switch you should have magnatism at coil #1 #2 and #13. #13 is the dial a matic solenoid on top if the valve stack. If you don't have any magnatism I would try replacing teh switch on the hydro handle

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to the shop foreman/service writer, whatever his position is, today at the closest dealer. He told me there wasn't a chance for me to get a schematic because all tech info was now on 2 shop laptops. He then took me to a 9610 to show me the solenoid stack that i told him i knew of. He said they had to replace a switch in one a while back and a clean the solenoids on another because they would not raise. He then told me that if i couldn't figure it out, he'd be glad to send a tech out to me. I'm sure you would be.

As a side story, I don't have much faith in the techs there. Much of them are high school boys, some i even went to school with, and they didn't know squat about mechanics, hydraulics, or electrical. Some of them barely made it through high school. Spent $12,000 year before last for them to rebuild the powershift trans in our 4955 only to have it operate horribly, lockup at road speed randomly, the brakes to act screwy, hydraulic oil temperature overheat, a/c refrigerant leaks, rattling hydraulic remote handles, bent and misaligned hood, wires poorely connected, and leaks.

Sorry about the vent, back to my original story..

Back earlier during the summer when we were cutting wheat, we kept having a random problem that caused the A/C to quit (blower motor stopped and compressor disengages) and the engine speed switch to not work. We found, or so we thought a loose connector near the hydraulic oil reservoir and it ran fine the rest of season. Well now its back to plague me again, as if the feederhouse problem wasn't enough. Oh the woes of farming....

·
Registered
653 Posts
I put 10 bucks that says it is the wiring harness connector that goes to the black box, Especially since you said you just washed it off, Every wash boy ive ever seen just sticks that stupid powerwasher wand right against that stack valve and goes to town. Take it apart, dry it out, clean the terminals, put it back together and i bet she works.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1st thing on my list to do in the morning. Also gotta figure out why the A/C and engine speed randomly quits. Will be running fine and then it looses power to the solenoid on the injection pump and the A/C system, then after a few minutes it'll work fine again. I'm thinking this is a relay. Anyone got any input on that?

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Sounds possible, but I'll bet my 10 bucks that it's the multi pin connector on the right side of the cab ( from the oustide, it's just in front of the cylinder. This is where the wiring harness you were tracing eventually leads). Undo the connector and hit it with compressed air and CRC - this has solved many random electric control problems on 9X00's. Then again, I've been wrong before....

Can't help with the A/C problem - good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well after spending some time tracing wires and fixing connections, heres what i know.

The A/C problem is fixed..as of now. Found a pin pulled out of the connector on the rear of the machine.

As for the feederhouse lift..i straightwired power to the pin that raises the feederhouse on the switch, it raised, then switched it to the pin that conrols the lowering, and it lowered. So everything down stream of my switch works, cylinders, pump, solenoids, "little black box", etc. The wire that brings power to the switch is numbered 15B. I pulled the armrest control panel up to trace this wire, and it goes into a splice with 3 other wires and becomes 15A. 15A then runs a large flat connector which plugs into my circuit board. If i apply power at the circuit board pin, while pressing the header height control or reel height, the header height or reel height works. Everyone with me on this?

Although i'd like to figure out why i'm not getting power, I think I may just end up splicing in a power wire onto 15A and calling it a day.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Wire 15 is engine running power from the power distribution board to the armrest. It starts with control power from the engine compartment relay, then to ciruit breaker 2 to relay K-3, K-3 is powered by ciruit breaker 5 and from ignition power from the engine compartment panel, the ground is from the engine oil pressure switch to K=3 relay

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting. Seems like i remember seeing a red wire #15 in the arm rest harness, but i don't remember checking it for power. I only traced and followed red wires #15B and #15A and a white wire, #203 i think it was, which was in the same flat connector that connected to the circuit board as #15A and led to the hydrostat handle neutral safety switch. Sorry if my terminology may be off, but i went to school for automotive technology, not agricultural machinery technology!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Boy, my neck is sure gona be hurting after looking at these diagrams on here for awhile.
Mr. Turner, thank you for supplying me with this information. I guess i will now need to trace my wire back to the power distribution board.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mr. Turner, you would't happen to have a schematic of the power distrubtion board would you?

Update on where i'm at tracing this thing down: wire 15 at the connector to the pdb(power distrubtion board) does not have power or either side of the connector. On relay K3 (Engine Running), with my test light grounded, if i touch my test light to pin 85 of the relay, the relay reacts and supplies power to red wire 15 and thus to my switch and i can lift/raise header. I've swapped relays, no difference.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My best guess is that mice have chewed on the main loom running under the cab and that wire 15 was the first to break. I have had mice chew through the entire 3 inches of wires. The customer didn't want a new harness so I had to splice all wires back together. You can run a new wire under the cab on the outside of the loom and splice it in before the power distribution board and the cab wall but you might be gambling that there are no other problems. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The guy that had it before us had a cb radio hooked up behind the seat. He took the radio and left me a wire with a full 12 volts! so i grabbed it and T'D on to wire 15. Probably not the "proper" way to do it, but its working.

Also, is there anyway to raise the pressure on the feeder house lift cylinders? They lift SLOW at idle. Someone told me there was an adjustment on that?

·
Registered
94 Posts
If the header height solenoid valve is adjusted down too far it will make it raise and lower slow. You might also check the pressure at the diagnostic receptical on the side of the valve stack. The pressure should be 3150 +/- 150 psi.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts