The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice on how to get more performance out of my machine. Here's the scenario.

I'm in a 2166 running a 22.5' 1020, 3" knife, bin extensions, 4wd and 30.5L32's machine is in really good shape, and working well. Concaves at about 2.5-3, rotor at 800 rpm, fan at 1100, chopper on low speed, knives removed.

We are doing beans in the 40 bushel range. They are threshing easily, sample is clean with a small amount of empty pods.

My buddy is running a '99 9410 with a new 622 hydraflex, 1.5" knife, 2wd, no bin extensions.

Now, i should be able to out do him i think. I have 45hp on him, plus my bin is far bigger. He unloads a lot.

Its all i can do to keep up with him. My acre counter tells me i can only do half the field if i push like hell, and he runs into trouble.

What do i have to do to pull ahead of him?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Get a 2388.

Those are well matched machines for a rotor and walker comparison. It takes more HP to run the rotor. Just stay out of his way.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know what you mean

I was running all last night wondering what i might change to reduce hp load. I have this handy little chart for troubleshooting problems, but it doesn't tell you what to do when the sample is perfect, losses are nil, and speed is 2 mph. Should i open the concave first, or slow the rotor, or speed up the rotor?

I'm new at this, and just want to maximize the capacity of the machine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What's holding you back? How fast are you cuttting? If you aren't pulling the engine down to 2200 rpm you are not using all the power. I have a 2144, was cutting 65 bu beans at 3.5 mph and easy thrash 50 bu at 4.5 mph, all with a 30 ft 1020. My settings are simlar except chopper on high and knives in. We can't let that JD get ahead! TORQUE

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My mechanic told me to run it above 2300, slow down if it drops below that. Is he being too gentle? I tend to treat my stuff pretty well, not really interested in burning belts etc

·
Registered
90 Posts
Rules? I don't need no stinking rules! The HP on that engine is rated at 2200 rpm so to get it you must pull it that far down. Just set the rotor and fan with it loaded that way and it will be fine. Wasn't looking for a 30 ft but it was very nice and very cheep. Quite happy with it. TORQUE

·
Registered
170 Posts
Speed up the vanes if loss is not an issue and that will make the rotor more like a cylinder and you should gain throughput. Then I would say to push the combine. I always set the engine alarm at 2100 and I ran right above the alarm setting. You need to look at the peek torque point on the engine and that is where you want to run for max performance.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just talked to my mechanic, and he said on beans the conventional will out do a rotary. It is in the high volume crops that a rotory shines. Comments?

He said if i add an axcelerator it will improve my ground speed a lot. Comments?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Watglen,

I agree with your mechanic from the standpoint that in certain conditions comparably classed (whatever that is, but in this case, the 2166 and 94-9510 are in the same class) conventionals will outcut a rotary and in certain conditions and crops the 2166 will kick the 9410s butt. I know our 9410 likes a load and being pushed to the limits to the point that I can stand the losses, when set right. We pull the engine down 100-200 rpm at least, and adjust the settings to compensate and keep the the needle in the green.

I don't know anything about the rotary dynamics, but I would think it likes to run full and if you are running at full rated RPM, then it is not full and is lightly loaded.

A rotary and conventional are not apples and apples. But, in perfect, dry ideal conditions, in most grain crops, the rotary should have the edge. Soybeans are a little different than small grains, but I know our 9410 likes dry beans, we run a 925 flex and it just flat out eats em. But, get a little green stem thing going on, and the world changes real fast.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Speed the rotor up until it starts cracking beans or throwing them out the back, then back it off a little. Then, open the concaves up a bit at a time until you see too many beans coming out the back, then close it up a hair. And yeah, you need to run it at 2200 or a little less.

Godspeed,
Trent

·
Registered
566 Posts
Ahh! A sts would definatly out run a 9410.

Seriosly push that stick ahead you aught to be runn'n 4 -4.5. Also move the vanes like the other guy said. When we ran a 2166 we put the spiked bars with disruptors in the back that helped alot adn was fairly cheap.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One thing that 9410 never does is fuel. In a 12 hr day in beans, I have to fuel for sure. Anybody solved the tiny tank problem on the 2166

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are 3 9410's near me and if they hit 3 mph in 50 bu. beans they are lucky, a 9410 is way under powered. A old 6620 titan 2 with a 466 engine will walk all over a 9410. Must be something wrong with your combine.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts