The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Also had steering completely jack knife tractor when turning.
Hello Canadian Farmer
I had the same thing happen to me years ago on my 145 when I was turning at the headland. I had to give the steering wheel a good forceful turn to get it to unlock. I crawled home in low gear down the road for fear that it might do it again & send me straight into the ditch!:eek: It turned out that when the previous owner had the steering cylinder apart, he didn't use the lock nut on the cylinder rod.:mad: He used a regular nut & a lock washer. Over time, the nut came loose & the slop in it destroyed the lock washer & a piece of it ended up in the steering control unit, damaging it. Not repairable:mad:, new too expen$ive:mad:, got used from a wrecker & worked good for years until I sold the tractor.:)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
dumb question but your not low on hydraulic fluid?
x2 The 80/82 series would do that when low on hyd oil, a quick turn in would sometimes allow air to get sucked in and cause a lock up like you are having. There was a change up of a shorter dipstick and an extra pail of oil for those tractors to correct it. Might be worth a check.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.