The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
303 diesel was the factory diesel, however we've done a few conversions, not lately, but 20 years ago, most were conerted to 329 cuin. diesel, same as 4400's and early 6600's.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
hey mate we share farm for a guy that has a 95 with a 354 perkins motor in it very easy to do from what he tells us. i will take some pics and try to send them.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have one in an old white 545, and yea, it is a great little motor in a combine. A 545, actually it is a Cockshutt, is a 42 inch wide cylinder machine made in the late 60's. It was my first combine that I bought in 1990. I put a quick tach feeder house on it from a late JD95, and ran it with a 443 corn head and a 216 flexhead. Still have the machine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The first 95 diesels used the 248 engine, and they were OK but difficult to start. The 1967-1969 model 95's used the 303 diesel, and they were great engines, would start in sub-zero temperatures and were very fuel efficient. I could cut 80 acres of beans in a day and usually only burn about 35 gallons of fuel.

I find it ludicrous that people would be stupid enough to cobble GM V-8's on a late 95, or for that matter a 354 Perkins. The Perkins engines were sick sisters in 750 Massey combines. I just don't like to see such abortions, when a 329, 359, or 414 Deere engine is a virtual bolt-in. All of them better engines than a Pukins (misspelling intentional).

Our 95 with a 303 would handle a 20-foot platform, we put a 653A Row-Crop head on it, and a 643 corn head when shelling corn under 100 bpa. Worked fine, and never ran out of power.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
True, Bundy. I've seen a or heard of some myself. I think what 105 meant, was that he prefers seeing the purity of the John Deere combine, while others were just wanting any practical after-market conversion from gas to diesel power. There's no doubt Perkins had some really good engines, too.

What's sad, is what happened to all those other combines the donor engines came from.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
well 105diesel their were lots of them that had 354 perkins around our area and they worked a treat. their was a second hand parts place (australia) that had kits for them and they virtually bolted straight in as well. plus they were lots cheaper than deeres engines. we had a massey tractor with perkins in it that did more than 11,000 hours of very had work before it needed a rebuild. so they didn't all suck partner.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Owned a diesel 95 for many years.....great machine.....303 diesel
engine.....only had a 40 gal fuel tank but would run ALL day (long
day at that) on a tank of fuel...simple, easy to service, reliable......
plenty of power to handle our hills........mine was one of the last
of the 95-H's........diesel, pivot pin platform, two speed leveling:

·
Registered
166 Posts
we bought a 95 brand new back in 69 with a diesel
put somewhere around 1500 hours on in 40 years still runs like a champ

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hmmmm.......I see that a little pruning has been done to this thread
since yesterday..
...too bad that the whining by one carries so
much weight.
Did a little deeper digging into the 'ol scan library
and came up with these....first my diesel 95-H leading the "02" on
the last day of harvest back in 96:

.....and a closer look at a classic old machine...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts