The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently received the opportunity to do about 1,000 acres of custom work split evenly between beans and corn. It will be planted with a twelve row planter so we need to use either a six or twelve row head. It is my understanding g that a 9600 or 9650 with singles and a six row head would still not work well because intake would be too low. Is that correct? What would you recommend investing in for a new custom operation. Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not believe we are going to have the capacity to keep up to a twelve row head. That was my main reason for the interest in a six row head. Around here a 9650 STS is only about $25,000-30,000 more than an older 9600. Seems hard not to justify the larger investment. Also I know appearance isn't everything but I believe the guy who hired us will be happier to see the new machine. So is it untrue that a 9600 or 9650 STS will not perform well with a six row head due to not enough corn coming in? I once heard someone say you would have to drive 7 MPH to keep it at optimum performance?

·
Registered
849 Posts
I would rather have the 12 row and have the combine sit and wait vs racing the combine around the field and putting hours on it just to have it running.
I do custom work around my area, lots of small fields planted to 6 row and I use an 8 row head,

i have an 8820 titan 2 in good shape, when i have to take 6 rows i haven't found top speed yet, 3rd gear maxes out at 6.5 mph or something close to that and still was far from pushing the combine, it was to the point that with a almost full grain tank it took more hp to drive the combine fast then it did to thrash the crop.
i would rather drive 4mph vs 6 mph with 8 row vs 6 row, and i would gladly drive 3mph with a 12 row and have to shut the combine off if i could.

i notice that with my 30 foot platform its a lot easier to open corners up then with my 20 foot head. at the end of the day the 12 row head might be a few mph slower, but it will move across the field so much faster.

you are doing custom work for a profit, a 6 row on that combine is a very expensive unit compared to a 12 row. un needed machine hours and fuel. look at your machine cost per acre, labor cost per acre and fuel cost per acre on a 6 vs 12 row and i think you will see a 12 row to be a wise investment.

if i had a customer offering me a 1000 acres custom work i would get a 12 row head and maybe do some investments to help get the crop handled faster if possible.

·
Registered
527 Posts
There is no reason to take the duals off of a 6 row head if you have 30" rows.....we harvested thousands of acres with a 6 row and duals for years. It's not fast, and machine depreciation/hour can be a problem for some owners. A 12 row head requires a large grain cart and a lot of hauling power to keep the combine moving. I have an 1100 bu cart with an 8 row head and it can't get back to me before I'm full after unloading in just 150 bu corn. 6 is too small for many, 12 is too big. That's why we went with the 16 row/8 row set up eventually. But you can do what you have in front of you with a 6 row. Sounds like an exciting opportunity! Hard to come by these days. Best of luck!
My bad, we had 650r 42 tires with spacers on that unit is why we removed outside duals when I look back.

Irregardless a 9650 and 6 row can gobble tonnes of corn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.