The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 9500 with a very nasty looking beater, actually now it doesn't have a beater. We managed to take the beater apart enough from laying on the straw walkers to get it out. Now, we have a A&I beater to put back in. How do you do this. The access hole to the straw walkers is too small to put the beater in there and the straw walkers are too close to the roof in the compartment to get it down there if we could get it in there. We could take the bearings off the straw walkers but I don't even think that would give us enough clearance once we got it in there. If just had to take the feeder housing off and remove the concave and beater grate, there isn't enough room even to get it between the cylinder and straw walkers. Has anybody done this? What is the easiest way? We don't want to tear the whole combine apart just to do this job, but obviously it needs to get done. Suggestions???

Here's the beater:

https://www.allpartsstore.com/ItemDetl.htm?B2BSessionID=090822010564168&CategorySeq=B&SelcBrand=JD&SelcMachn=COMBINE& SelcModel=9500&SelcSectn=K&SelcSubsc=&SearchItem=&TextSearch=&ItemNumber=LBJD94008

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've done several beaters through the back but only PF parts' unit. The paddles are easily removable so I just strip the drum down and roll it in. It even fits though the engine compartment door plus it's lighter without the paddles. Your link wasn't good so I couldn't see your beater that way but I assume it's the Loewen/A&I unit so I looked it up on their website. It looks like a stock beater except that it's all one piece. You will have fun installing that no matter how you do it. I'm pretty sure the only way would be to pull the feeder house and main cylinder and put it in the front, which is how I do most of mine being that I usually upgrade the cylinder too.

You can also lift it up through the chopper hole and roll it down the walkers, but I guess the PF is the only one that will fit over the walker hump because the paddles can come off. For the few hundred bucks extra I would just get a PF beater and do it through the back. Plus the PF will give you a significant performance upgrade and if you do take a rock through the paddles can be replaced individually. Don't forget to do a beater speed-up kit.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
so does that mean that in the same operation in the cts11 the pf parts beater could go through the hatch in the engine bay without removing the rotor module from the machine?
(question from cts11 heart transplant thread just in case you only get back to one greentech)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ive done the A&Is over the walkers before. You have to take out the risers on one or more walkers, turn the right postions and slide the beater in side ways to get it past the hopper troughs.
Now that you already own the A&Is you might as well istall them not run out and get somethin else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, we took the straw walker that was up the highest off the bearings and moved it backward to lower it. Then we moved the chopper forward and lifted the beater up to the back of the walkers and rolled it down (with some 'encouragement' in the tight spots). Wasn't near as bad with 4 guys. Don't buy a whole new beater unless you just have to, and if you do, just get the ones that will come apart so you can put them together in the combine!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts