The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we were finishing cutting our wheat the 9500 combine started making a whining almost wistling sound, that was only heard when feeder was engaged. I was thinking it might be reverser but the oil level and quality of the oil is good . Is there anything that might be out of adjustment that could be causing this noise ? Any other ideas what might be causing it? Thanks for any help on this. Paul

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you referring to the v.s. pulley at the top of the feeder house? If that is the problem is it a big job to fix? I think if the weather holds clear we may be cutting some beans this week. Thanks for the quick reply Tom,sounds like you have seen this problem before.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Yes Paul the v.s. pulley at the top, no it is not a big fix, take the var. speed belt off and the drive belt off, the bracket that is on the upper pulley needs to come off and this is were the var. speed piston is at also, it can be a 1/2 drive or 3/4 drive to take the pulley bolt off , if let go it will take the shaft and bracket.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for the info; I forgot to mention that if you run the feeder with the reverser in neutral there is no noise. I assume that to be from no load being applied to the v.s. drive. Again thanks for the timely response . I will pull it out of the shed tomorrow and get started on repair I don't want it going out when we are in harvest

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would also check the top shaft that runs the feeder house chain. The bearings on the ends of it could be goin out. Have heard them make a whine when goin south.
Good luck,
DeereCattopher

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips guys! Will check these spots you suggested tomorrow . I'll let you know what I find. Local short line dealer where I work p/t has a stethoscope I can borrow to help in locating bad bearings etc. Hoping I can correct it before it blows. Thanks; Paul

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We got the combine out yesterday and after checking it out real close my son figured it to be the idler pulley on the v.s.belt, the bearing is still ok but is noisy. Ordered new one will have it tomorrow. Hopefully thats all it is even though that pulley is over $50. Thanks again for the replies and happy harvest to all. Paul

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tom; pretty sure your diagnosis was correct. I was in the 9500 yesterday for alittle while and that screaming noise is still there. I am usually in the 7720 but it got sidelined due to a small fire . Not sure what is causing it to catch fire . Anywho we got a moisture break here now so I am going to pull apart the v.s. pulley.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Always trust your JD tech . Got the pulley off yesterday and one of the bearingd was noisy still altogether you had to listen close to hear noise when it was off the shaft;replaced and whisper quiet. Thanks Tom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts