The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neighbor had his worked on four times. By John Deere. 1st: oil leak on the out side. 2nd time,repaced seals, 1 day later it leaked worse. They took it to the shop and told him they had to replace the planetary housing, I was told that DTAC said the endplay on the grooved pulley was the cause. Techs needed to replace the planet housing to fix it---$1900.00 for the part. JD assembled it part way in the shop and it was greater movement. Something about the bearing bore in the new housing? To correct this they used a center punch to expand the bearing bore and put sleeve retainer on the bearing to try to fix it. The pulley and assembly are tight.

My service manual says 5/64 to 1/8" endplay. My drive also seeps, but I'm doing tough beans and have it in direct drive. I have .120" end play.

Looking at the parts breakdown is not clicking with me, but I have never had one apart either. There are selective shims in there. Dose this control that movement? I think they are wrong and missing something simple.

I have all the new bearings and seals in a bag waiting, but his ordeal has caused some hesitation.

I have a 1991 machine and I'm sure someone out there knows what is going on. If I had my hand on the guts, I'll understand how to fix it, but wanting to know if I need to order the shims or what.

Anything is appreciated, but don't tell me to get rid of the POS. Like family, but cheaper.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ive never had one apart but have also never needed the two speed setup and have two of them complete if you need one, One came off my 9650 walker when it had only 500 hours so Im sure if there was any changes made to the units this late model one is the latest, circa 2002, and this particular unit has never been ran in slow speed before, making the planetaries and seals and all bearings still brand new. Let me know if your interested and Ill figure out a way to get it sent to you, gotta buddy ad fed ex freight that can help. Take care
David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts