The Combine Forum banner

9500 lights

6K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Olescool 
#1 ·
First off I would like to say hey to everyone and share the thought that I have gained lots of knowledge from this site over the last few years. I now have a problem of my own that I cant seem to figure out. I have a 89 9500 that's having issues with the lights. The flashers work fine, however any setting on switch that activates the headlights and taillights ultimately result in my lights flickering. For instance I was picking corn last night and the lights worked fine four about 45 mins to hr. Then started flashing and would stay off more than on. Sometimes it only takes a few minutes for the problem to occur and others it may take 30 40 minutes and I have run a few nights that I didn't have a problem at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys. The board up by the tank has been replaced.

#2 ·
sounds like the relay has an intermittent contact, and or burned contacts, also check the ground for that circuit and the relay ground source. so many times we chase the positive side of these circuits and in actuality the ground may be the issue, in this advanced computer age with so many systems running a 0-5 volt reference any resistance and poor grounds are multiplied...

#4 ·
Could be either of the above.

The flickering sounds like a dud relay, but if it stays off for a while and then comes back on, it could be a breaker tripping. Next time it goes out, check the circuit breakers on the right side of the board to see if any of the ones for the lights are hot. If so, you have a short somewhere, and need to trace the wiring harness, looking for a spot where it has rubbed through onto metal.

If not, replace the lights relay with a known good one, and see if that helps.

#5 ·
You mentioned the board was replaced, do you know if that included all the relays and breakers or were they simply swapped over to a new board. Its been a few years ago now but we were having a bit of a problem with some functionality, fan speed I think was one and turned out to be a dud relay and its not like we change the speed often so it shows they certainly can go bad and sometimes without much use. So I would go along with what has already been mentioned, try one item first such as a new relay and if that doesn't do the trick, go for the new breaker as well and at least that way the easy eliminations are done before digging elsewhere. Also blow out the box and the board with some air, just not too strong and ruin the unit but dust and then moisture collecting on circuitry can sure cause some problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.