The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have recently bought our first combine, a 9510. When we got it home we were looking it over and noticed it is equipped with a factory JD dust diverter on the sides of the feederhouse. Upon further inspection, we noticed the bearings were out and the shaft twisted in two, and the impellers were cracked. When we went to the JD store for parts they said they had never laid eyes on a 9510 much less a dust diverter like that. My question is --- are these dust diverters troublesome? Would we be better off not to fix this one and put an aftermarket diverter on? What do ya'll think? Just give me some feedback on these diverters. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
It depends on your application, in corn if its really dry I do see a difference with the dust system over a straight feeder house. But it really doesn't affect harvest much. Where I notice it the most is on dusty crops that require very close to the ground cutting or even sliding the header on the ground. This is the case with defoliated Alfalfa Seed, and the dust system makes a HUGE difference with this crop. With my old 9500's without the dust system you could be pushing a pile of dirt and not even know it until it was too late (bent up header) with it I don't have that problem cause I can see where I'm going. Hope this helps, I personally would fix it.

BTW: The book does say to disable it in corn I believe, I think they had some fires started with it, but don't quote me. Good luck

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
We had them on all our 9610 (9) we used to disable them doing flowers for the reason adk247 gives, starting fires.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I have heard somewhere that the 9x10 series had something else to help with the dust other than the factory installed diverter . We leased a 9610 several years ago and it did not have a diverter at all. I cut soybeans with a flex head and had no problems seeing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 9510 with the feeder house fan.It works good in dry dusty small grain,but in sunflowers it is a must to disable It WILLstart fires big time,speaking from exp.the stocks gooseneck on that unshielded shaft and spread fire thruout the entire combine and to the ground behind.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, combiner, wonder if it will be okay to run in corn and soybeans? I have looked in the manual and it doesn't say which crops to disable the diverter in.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
There was a special sticker and supplemental manual page that was sent out to me a couple years after I bought my 9610, I think it just stated to disable it in Corn, I'd have to look again though.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The dust diverter is only used on small grass grain, wheat, barley, millit,etc. Any thing with staulks it needs to be disabled. As for repairs they are pretty simple to fix, but not always cost effective.. You will only notice the differnece in low light or dark conditions. The biggest difference is when you are unloading on the go with the wind at ur back at night.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dust Diverter

GVL Poly offers the EZ View dust diverter. It is mechanically driven by the feeder house drive and does not plug up in corn.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks, combiner, wonder if it will be okay to run in corn and soybeans? I have looked in the manual and it doesn't say which crops to disable the diverter in.
I have a 9610 and it says to disable it in corn cause it will start fires. I use it on wheat and soybeans without a problem! Never did any flowers so can't help there but im sure it would be worse than corn. It works well in soybeans but could use some improvement. All n all it does the job so i can stay out in the field later at night;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Back in the day when JD was trying their experimental twin rotor 9500 they also had a crew from JD at the same location trying to solve the constant dust cloud created by the feederhouse.These two JD techs were diligent,every evening they would show up with their 9600 combine and proceed to "beat the beans" out of the pods.One evening we had just opened up a 360 acre field,beans was testing 10% and the dust was terrible. You know those days when the dust just hangs in front of the cab window and never moves? Well the tech guys hit a home run that evening,,seems they had developed several new styles of cylinder bars with the sole purpose to "draw" air from the feederhouse inwards to the cylinder.I remember that late afternoon all of us operators could hardly see the bean head,let alone 10 feet in front of the head,,we were creeping but the tech guys sailed right past all of us,without any dust cloud.I never talked to them about what they had done,they was a very secretive pair anyway.Daily they would change cylinder bars and then test them each afternnon,but from that afternoon on,they never tried anymore new styles of bars.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Back in the day when JD was trying their experimental twin rotor 9500 they also had a crew from JD at the same location trying to solve the constant dust cloud created by the feederhouse.These two JD techs were diligent,every evening they would show up with their 9600 combine and proceed to "beat the beans" out of the pods.One evening we had just opened up a 360 acre field,beans was testing 10% and the dust was terrible. You know those days when the dust just hangs in front of the cab window and never moves? Well the tech guys hit a home run that evening,,seems they had developed several new styles of cylinder bars with the sole purpose to "draw" air from the feederhouse inwards to the cylinder.I remember that late afternoon all of us operators could hardly see the bean head,let alone 10 feet in front of the head,,we were creeping but the tech guys sailed right past all of us,without any dust cloud.I never talked to them about what they had done,they was a very secretive pair anyway.Daily they would change cylinder bars and then test them each afternnon,but from that afternoon on,they never tried anymore new styles of bars.
Do you know what kind of bars they were? Do they make them anymore? or did they ever make thim into production? Anymore info on these bars, the way it sounds these would be the bars to have!(as long as it did a good job threshing the crop);)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ez view dust diverter

Gvl poly has an aftermarket dust diverter driven off of the feederhouse drive chain for $1,500. Works in corn and small grain.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts