The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a new to us, 9510 back in the spring. I had it out the other day, and was going to our neighbors down the road to pick up a corn head. I was truckin' along at full speed when something started making a "racket," I started to slow down and the transmission locked up tight, slid the wheels, and scared the crap out of me. After I collected myself, I put it into a different gear to limp it off the road. To my surprise, it drove fine in first gear. I was only a mile from the shop and I didn't have my phone, nor was anyone with me, so I drive it home.

Upon arriving at the shop I pulled the front off the transmission and it looks brand new. Not even any metal shavings in the transmission. I have first gear only. When you put it into 2nd or 3rd it will not move, only jerk slightly.

Any of you combine "aces" know what is wrong with my 9510? Corn cutting is only a couple weeks off. Any and all help and comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
653 Posts
makes sure your linkage is hooked up correctlly, and your cable is fine from top to bottom, especially around the pivot of the feederhouse. I have seen the roll pins on the shift fingers shear, and u cant see them until you knock them out. Its kinda a bear to get all that out and on the bench and remember how you tear it apart so get a manual or take pics. Thats my guess is the shifters, have someone watch them with the cover off and see if they are fully engaging when you move the lever back and forth.
I have replaced probably a half dozen motors doing the same thing your saying but you loose 1st gear too. so it doesnt sound like that, You could pull the motor offf and make sure that the splines are ok on the motor.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Only thing I can see from the parts diagram is perhaps you sheared a woodruff key on the transmission pinion shaft. As to why it would lock up and shear the key, I cannot imagine unless you also have a bearing go out on one of the final drives which locked up when you slowed down, but ran again when you went on in first gear.

In summary, I would examine the final drives' oil for metal and perhaps jack up and check each side for slack. I think it would be a long shot, but you probably should check the hydrostatic drive motor for metal as well. Just looking for things that could lock up and cause the transmission to shear the drive key without actually being a problem in the transmission that would have put a lot of debris in the bottom of the case.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We (I say we, the JD tech) found it today. The little oil pump on the side sheared the roll pin. After which the top shaft "gallded" (southern term for siezed), the 2nd and 3rd gear seized. This is apparently why it would only jerk in 3rd, because it was trying to go into 2 gears at once. I guess nothing that a little time and parts will fix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts