The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
crop conditons: 200 bushel+, 19% moisture, current losses are @ 2 to 3 bushel meaning 20 to 30 seeds to sq. ft. right behind combine, with straw chopper front and a 6 row corn head. This is running 3 to 3.5 miles, cyclinder @ 400, concave @ 27. Had 9500 tranded 9550. My 9500 could run these conditions @ 4 mile and hr. all day long. Have under 5 kernels per sq. ft. with cyclinder 300 to 460 when kernels are blown apart, concave clearance from 40 to 9 all settings were tired and with cyclinder speed setup @ what the book says and still have major walker los. Dealer service man was out for 4 hours and doesn't know what to do. Rasp bars are fine, concave is level and set per spec. It is a Kuchar Concave which the 9500 was --so no difference there. Everything checks out -- shoe supply augers are taking material away and not jamming up under the concave and not restricting the concave. Concave is not plugged with any debris. It is not shoe loss or cornhead or holes under the combine--it istotally walker loss. Have been running walker machines for over 12 years and have no clue what to do anymore. Totally frustrated and grain losses are totally unacceptable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We did find that it had a beater slow down kit on which we flip around to speed it up instead which helped maybe 25%--added 4 more straw walker risers with no improvement. Machine has 2200 separator hrs. on it. Concave is fine.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Are the cobs completely thrashed out on the walkers? What position is beater grate in? Do you have cylinder filler plates in?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cobs are completly thrashed filler plates are in beater grate is in the only position it can be in. Kuchar puts a differnt beater grate in that is fixed. Thanks for the ideas keep but everyone is baffled. If any has any ideas they can call on my cell 717 989 4635 thanks again. Alan

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is an interesting problem. We have a 9510 sidehill and are able to run the concave at 40, cylinder 320 rpm and run 4.5-4.7 in around 180-200 bushel corn with 17-18% moisture. With the sidehill it should be evenly distributed across the walkers. Are your fields contour or are you driving up and down the hills? that could make a difference. I'll ask around for you and see if anyone has any ideas, b/c I can't think of anything that hasn't been said already.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The kuchar concave does not use that beater grate curtain and there's no way to mount it to the beater grate. Thanks for the phone call this morning. At this point at noon we decided it has to be the concave at 6:00 o'clock we had it out all the bars are rounded off so we're pretty sure this the problem. With having to run the cylinder so fast and concave so tight I think we're grinding everything up to much that the walker can't separte it. Hopefully by tomarrow afternoon we will be running again. Oh the fields we are combing flat. Will keep everyone posted. Thanks again

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well guys problem solved it was the concave. Just cut 15 acres at 4-4.5 mph with next to no loss. Thanks for everyone who gave input. I will sleep good tonight.

·
Registered
72 Posts
what was wrong with the concave and how did you fix it?

I have a 9500SH with a St. John rebuilt concave and it works extremely well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pulled the concave and replaced it with OEM concave wanted to put a kuchar concave back in but couldn't wait 4 days for it to get here. There was some bow to it, not near what u would see from OEM. The bars were rounded off to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In the same conditions with same combine I run 3.7 to 4.1 with an 894 cornhead. Using the oem concave I have pulled every other concave wire and run corn, soybeans, and wheat without any problems and it increases capacities and greatly lowers horsepower requirements. I normally run the concave with inserts in at all times. This year however, with 220 bpa corn and heavy trash from healthy plants, I started to have too much walker loss. To correct the problem I removed the top row only of inserts and the walker loss problem dissapeared. My settings in the midwest are 40 on concave and about 370 on cylinder speed. When checking up on top of machine looking in door, the cobs are whole on the walker and completly clean. Hopes this helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks cropduster I still wasn't 100% satisfied. So I pulled every other wire today since it was raining. I still was having more walker loss than I wanted to see at 4.0 mph. Still miss my 9500 for compasity. Still disapointed with performance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I do not use cylinder fillers for corn as well as beans and this works very well at least for the last four years.. Might try that too. Almost no cracking at all. Still have the concave inserts in the back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts