The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a 2013 560C last fall (same as 9560). Excited to give the new machine a go. Wondering what a guy can do before we even hit the field to improve sample quality, as I’ve done lots of reading and have heard that grain sample can be a bit of an issue on these machines. Found lots of threads mentioning a plastic pre-cleaner instead of the OEM one and a pre-cleaner extension? Are these worth installing? Any other tips? We grow durum, canola, canary seed, lentils and barley. The machine already has an airfoil chaffer (was in when we bought it) Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
962 Posts
pre cleaner extension is worth it. if you got hills put riser kit in. I don't have an airfoil in so I'm not sure how that is going to work out for you? In wheat for instance start with 3 blanks on the right side of machine and 1 on the left. These combines tend to overload the right side even in canola we leave 1 blank in on the right side. Use the narrow spaced concaves in wheat, canary seed, and canola you might do a mix of narrow and wide. Use wide spaced in the rest of your crops you listed you grow. The concaves are really easy to switch out so experiment with your machine in your own conditions. In some instances you'll need the restrictors just try them if your experiencing hard threshing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pre cleaner extension is worth it. if you got hills put riser kit in. I don't have an airfoil in so I'm not sure how that is going to work out for you? In wheat for instance start with 3 blanks on the right side of machine and 1 on the left. These combines tend to overload the right side even in canola we leave 1 blank in on the right side. Use the narrow spaced concaves in wheat, canary seed, and canola you might do a mix of narrow and wide. Use wide spaced in the rest of your crops you listed you grow. The concaves are really easy to switch out so experiment with your machine in your own conditions. In some instances you'll need the restrictors just try them if your experiencing hard threshing.
Thank you for the information, I’ll keep this in mind!

·
Registered
47 Posts
My current set up is 1st concave blanked, sunnybrook maxthresh in 2nd and 3rd, small wire in 4,5,6 with every third wire removed, airfoil chaffer, preclean extension. This set up works well for lentils also chicpeas, hard threshing wheat is the challenge but this does pretty well. Before the sunnybooks had in 4 interrupter plates and another blank on right side to improve threshing.

·
Registered
483 Posts
what did you run before? you will be impressed with the simplicity of these machines.we have a 2014 540c and love it. also run a 9770 jd and the challenger burns 1/3 rd less fuel to do the same acres. if you like a perfect sample you might be a little disappointed but when the trucks leave the yard and the cheque comes in the mail who cares about a few white caps.a couple of things to check are the actual concave settings.when our display indicated the concaves were closed they were in fact about an inch or more open, would be tough to get a descent job with that.also don't forget now you are in the world of grain on grain thrashing not grinding it to death with rub bars. we have had ours 4 years and are still fine tuning it.go back in this forum and read all the posts there are some very smart guys that have a lot of helpful hints.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
what did you run before? you will be impressed with the simplicity of these machines.we have a 2014 540c and love it. also run a 9770 jd and the challenger burns 1/3 rd less fuel to do the same acres. if you like a perfect sample you might be a little disappointed but when the trucks leave the yard and the cheque comes in the mail who cares about a few white caps.a couple of things to check are the actual concave settings.when our display indicated the concaves were closed they were in fact about an inch or more open, would be tough to get a descent job with that.also don't forget now you are in the world of grain on grain thrashing not grinding it to death with rub bars. we have had ours 4 years and are still fine tuning it.go back in this forum and read all the posts there are some very smart guys that have a lot of helpful hints.
Sounds like you need to level your concaves. If I recall correctly there is supposes to be .5 inch between the concave and rub bars when the indicator says zero. Really makes a huge difference in grain quality, power consumption and straw quality.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have heard really good things about fuel consumption with these machines! Coming from a Challenger 670 and an 8780xp before that. Have had good luck with our agco machines over the years we really liked those two. We were pretty blessed with those two tho because they were extremely easy to set. We knew we were likely going to sacrifice sample quality a little bit and we are okay with that, will be worth it for the gained capacity, fuel economy and comfort. But I will definitely make sure the concaves are levelled an set correctly.

·
Registered
483 Posts
checking the oil is another tricky thing you have to pull the dip stick and wait a couple of minutes before checking the level. it seems that the sealed tube with the o ring prevents the level from rising to the correct spot. when we got ours it was 15 liters over full. the guy dumped it at auction because he thought it was burning oil.. our neighbor run 2 9540's and had the exact same problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
checking the oil is another tricky thing you have to pull the dip stick and wait a couple of minutes before checking the level. it seems that the sealed tube with the o ring prevents the level from rising to the correct spot. when we got ours it was 15 liters over full. the guy dumped it at auction because he thought it was burning oil.. our neighbor run 2 9540's and had the exact same problem.
That is very very good to know thanks! I would have crapped my pants if i thought it was burning that much oil

·
Registered
29 Posts
Running 2 Gleaners now but came from a 9560. Ran one Gleaner and one Massey for a while. Was a 2013 or 2014 I believe. Nice machine. Sisu motor and V-Cool were a huge improvement from the 9895 we had previous. Used it in wheat, canola and soybeans. Be prepared for it to test your patience though. Can take a long time to get it really dialed in. Been four years since we had it so don’t remember exactly how we set it. Pretty much always had at least two concave covers in (and sometimes 3) on the RH side in an attempt to improve sample/level MOG on shoe. Used interrupter bars sometimes in wheat but didn’t find it made a huge difference. Used 2-3 covers again in canola to try and get most of the material back to the center of the sieves. Small wire concaves. Pulled every other wire in beans.
Loss was good in wheat and beans. Wheat sample left a little to be desired but not a disaster. Had trouble getting it set right in canola but was able to get it to an acceptable loss level with some tweaking. Never straight cut any canola with it either. All swathed at the time.
All things considered it was a pretty good machine once we figured it out. Simple, reliable, easy to operate and maintain. Never had any major breakdowns that stopped us from harvesting in the five seasons we had it. Kinda miss it actually. Hope it works well for you.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Purchased a 2013 560C last fall (same as 9560). Excited to give the new machine a go. Wondering what a guy can do before we even hit the field to improve sample quality, as I’ve done lots of reading and have heard that grain sample can be a bit of an issue on these machines. Found lots of threads mentioning a plastic pre-cleaner instead of the OEM one and a pre-cleaner extension? Are these worth installing? Any other tips? We grow durum, canola, canary seed, lentils and barley. The machine already has an airfoil chaffer (was in when we bought it) Any input is appreciated.
check the bubble up auger... some came with grease jerks and some without.. my dealer told me if they have been greased they last a long time.. if not expect to replace the universal joint every 800 hrs..
Mine didn't have the jerks and lasted just short of 1000 hrs.. U can install the grease fittings in the new ones... ugly to grease but if u had a 9895 then u are aware of that..

I like my 9540, a little touchy getting it set.. but the V cool, power and fuel economy makes up for that..

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
yep had an ekotone done to it.. didn't seem to effect the fuel economy much(probably because it isn't being taxed often).. nice to have the extra power (I guess) not sure I needed to bump the HP.. it handled the 35' header just fine without it..
I just ordered some Sunnybrook concaves for it.. try to improve the sample and simplify setting it. fingers crossed

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I for got to mention.. I did install a Harvest airfoil.. It has really improved the wheat and canola samples and made setting easier.. So I think u are ahead of the curve in ease of setting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I for got to mention.. I did install a Harvest airfoil.. It has really improved the wheat and canola samples and made setting easier.. So I think u are ahead of the curve in ease of setting.
That is awesome to know! The salesman we bought it from said they Installed air foils in all of these machines when they take them on trade. Said it really helped sample but wanted to hear it from someone that has had experience with them. Interested to know how the sunnybrooks work for you

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
That is awesome to know! The salesman we bought it from said they Installed air foils in all of these machines when they take them on trade. Said it really helped sample but wanted to hear it from someone that has had experience with them. Interested to know how the sunnybrooks work for you
sunny brooks really worked well.. white caps weren't an issue, I was able to run with the concave more open.. so picked up some more capacity...
they simplified setting/adjusting it..
wheat settings: concave...67, bottom sieve....24, fan speed....1150-1160, rotor... 990-1150 depending on how tough the straw was( the only setting that varied)
swathed canola settings: rotor..550, concave... 2-2.10, fan...1000, sieve...24

I'm thinking I might have to increase the rotor speed in the standing canola.. and tweak the sieve and fan depending on the amount of mog.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sunny brooks really worked well.. white caps weren't an issue, I was able to run with the concave more open.. so picked up some more capacity...
they simplified setting/adjusting it..
wheat settings: concave...67, bottom sieve....24, fan speed....1150-1160, rotor... 990-1150 depending on how tough the straw was( the only setting that varied)
swathed canola settings: rotor..550, concave... 2-2.10, fan...1000, sieve...24

I'm thinking I might have to increase the rotor speed in the standing canola.. and tweak the sieve and fan depending on the amount of mog.
What kind of wheat do you grow? We only grow durum for wheat, and also grow a little canary seed, both very hard thrashing, had the machine set basically as tight and fast as absolutely possible. Was able to get the sample pretty good but would be nice to clean it up or open the machine up a little bit. However we didn’t have monster crops either, 25-35 bushel/acre durum. So maybe better crops in general would help. What type of sunnybrook did you install and how many?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
What kind of wheat do you grow? We only grow durum for wheat, and also grow a little canary seed, both very hard thrashing, had the machine set basically as tight and fast as absolutely possible. Was able to get the sample pretty good but would be nice to clean it up or open the machine up a little bit. However we didn’t have monster crops either, 25-35 bushel/acre durum. So maybe better crops in general would help. What type of sunnybrook did you install and how many?
what u describe is exactly how we use to set the machine to do a job in wheat..
2 Max thresh on the left side.. 1st row left and right are original with blanks on, then the 2nd and 3rd on left side are Max thresh... 2nd and 3rd on right side are original with blanks.. all the rest are original.. when talking to sunny brook they mentioned adding more(possibly different ones) if this didn't work as well as I liked.. I'd give them a call and see what they recommend for u

we grow Brandon spring wheat

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
what u describe is exactly how we use to set the machine to do a job in wheat..
2 Max thresh on the left side.. 1st row left and right are original with blanks on, then the 2nd and 3rd on left side are Max thresh... 2nd and 3rd on right side are original with blanks.. all the rest are original.. when talking to sunny brook they mentioned adding more(possibly different ones) if this didn't work as well as I liked.. I'd give them a call and see what they recommend for u

we grow Brandon spring wheat
Thanks for the information! I’ll definitely give them a call! Good to hear a good experience with them before going out on a limb

1 - 20 of 20 Posts