The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a Massey fan since birth. Never been able to be around the newest model combine as the local dealers don’t care about selling them. Was wondering the good and the bad, how they compare to other brands in actual side by side comparisons. Not looking for a color war or a bashing contest just want to know how they stack up? Trying to convince dealer to try them before Agco tries to kill them off. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
543 Posts
We've MF combine guys since grandpa bought our first combine in 1949 a brand new MH21a. Our latest combine is a 2014 MF 9560 bought new. What we like about it is the capacity clean sample cooling system is the best in the industry I've never had to blow the radiator out!!!! The engine air filter will make it to the 200 hour mark before needing a servicing. Simple to service quiet cab excellent motor, the concaves are simple and easy to change. The machine has been trouble free. What I don't like about it it took a while to catch on to setting it, but with a good dealer that solved that problem. I miss the turret unloading auger, but this thing unloads fast! The cab could be a bit bigger and a fridge would be nice, but not necessary.

·
Registered
381 Posts
have a 2014 540 challenger, same as a 9540. great combine, so simple and economical. very quiet cab,great autosteer, tons of power from the 7 cylinder sisu engine,run a 40 ft. macdon at half gallon an acre.concaves are easy to reconfigure to different crops, like pulling wires for peas and barley.a few key things to maintain for best performance but thats with every combine. run with a 9770 jd and at days end same acres, sample close,bushels close, but fuel is the kicker. also the agco was 100k cheaper than the jd. we do all our own repairs so dealership support is not that important. took a chance on this challenger at auction and it turned out to be one of the best investments i have ever made.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great information from the two replies I received! Was hoping for a few more. Anyone else have any input? Ran them with other brands to compare them? Average yearly maintenance costs etc. Thanks again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great information from the two replies I received! Was hoping for a few more. Anyone else have any input? Ran them with other brands to compare them? Average yearly maintenance costs etc. Thanks again!
we have a 9540 with 3800 plus engine hrs. simple , powerful machines. has lots of capacity has the best fuel economy of any combine I know of. The 7 cylinder 9.8 L Sisu is a perfect motor for a combine, smooth, powerful, effecient. I did replace a high pressure fuel pump . Im on hilly ground, and if Id start over Id go with a Gleaner S78. the 9540 is pretty quick to push grain over the sieves on hills, and its a top heavy machine with a hopper full of grain. My favorite crop with the 9540 is corn, it does a good job on corn. in thin tough beans it can be a problem threshing every bean pod open even with blanks on the concaves. I still fight white caps in wheat during certain conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts