The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about trading up what are some of the major differences (besides the cab)are there any year models of 65s that are better than others. Thanks in advance for replies.

·
Registered
82 Posts
96 was a year of quite a few updates Mainly the longer shoe, so the newer ones haven't changed much. Main differences, 96 to 04, both 8.3 liter but in late 02 they switched to the QSC, that gives you 24 valves and electronic injection. Heaver final drives, your 96 will have the S-28's or most have the S-36's, 2003 was an update to S-39. and for the cab personally i prefer the older one with the blue tinted glass, and the A pillar on the new one is to far forward and blocks some visibility of your header. Also i'm still not sold on the newer ones with SISU engines, good luck finding parts if something ever happened to Agco. Could end up being like the Deutz powered era.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Probably not many changes in that era except paint and the cab. The unloader on the 65 could be larger.

Regarding the engines if your 62 has the Duetz I would consider the upgrade to the Cummins as a positive move. I think the Duetz powered 62's have more power than the 8.3 Cummins. But if you are in a warm dirty environment eliminating all the cleaning is a positive. In the midwest Cummins parts are readily available at any truckstop or Cummins retailer. For Duetz parts you are limited to getting them through your AGCO dealer or on your own. They take time to get and are expensive. I wouldn't even know where a Duetz engine dealer is in these parts. I'd try to get a late 65 with the improved clean grain elevator adjustment and modified feed floors as well as 4 strand feeder house.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If anything ever happens to Agco - finding parts for a Sisu engine will be the least of your worries. As to Deutz engines , we find parts more readily available and much less expensive going through Deutz engine dealers and aftermarket companies than through Agco as a result of the wars between the two companies - so that is not a concern to us either.
All companies have problem areas - Deutz and Cummins alike- always have always will.
All the 65's were good - there were modification campaigns to fix the blips - make sure they were done. 85 % of all the R62 - r65 parts are the same - both can be upgraded to much higher performance - diagnostics on the 65's are better - but the more gizmos the more possibility of getting to know the system intimately.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would agree with LG on this one . My first (2003) R65 had some ac issues and a few new edition glitches. I went thru this with my first 21 series (IH) as well. I worked around the feeder house one but I would strongly rec. the Dan fix on the older R65's.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
I may be wrong but I thought the 14" unloader was optional the first year or two then became standard.yes 14 inch was an option on the early ones. the 5 series has a couple less belts on the left side also and some heavier shafts. most of them come with hydrulic straw spreaders here which i think was an option on the early ones also.

·
Registered
581 Posts
yes 14 inch was an option on the early ones. the 5 series has a couple less belts on the left side also and some heavier shafts. most of them come with hydrulic straw spreaders here which i think was an option on the early ones also.

What belt was lost other than the spreader belt? Hydrailic spread I think first became standard on the last year of the 5 series or maybe not until the 6 series.

·
Registered
5 Posts
mot of the r65 around here from 2004 n have the 14" unloader the dearship ordered them that way yes they were aqn option 2003 and 2004 .you would like the 14'

·
Registered
30 Posts
The relocation of the hydro belt is a good deal especially if you are doing a little mudding without mud shields. I fabbed a small shield for this area on our last R62. The hyd spreader is great also and you will appreciate the in cab concave adj and the 4 spd shift seems to work easier also. Our 75 is an 08 so the feeding issues were greatly improved over the 02 R62 we had before.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
update: went with an 05 R65 500 seperator hrs cdf rotor. Thanks for all the replies. new question is how to set cdf rotor. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts