The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been looking for a 9600-9610 to purchase. Some of them have cracks in the sides just above the rear straw walker crank. What causes this? Can it be fixed? Or do we need to continue running as fast as we can when we see these problems. Also, as I do not have much experiance in what to be looking out for in these combines, (or any other for that matter) any, and all help would be greatly appreciated. I know with all the combine knowledge on this site, someone will know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I believe you are refering to the vibration cracks around the straw chopper drive supports on the left side. This is very common, especially on machines with fine cut choppers. There is an update for the support that runs straight up from the outer end of the chopper jackshaft. DTAC solution #43672. Your dealer can print it out for you or maybe Tom has time. The rest of the cracks can just be welded. Be sure that the chopper runs smoothly on any combine you purchase to prevent further damage. Vibrations are usually caused by an unbalanced rotor but could be due to damaged belts. Also check the alignment of the chopper drives.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
It's threads like this that are really valuable (great question to a problem more than a few will encounter, and a well-stated answer). And all done without making a remark about the machine's color or calling anyone a ****wad. LOL. Thanks to both of you.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information, greentech. Have another one for all of you. We looked at a 9650 this morning and it had cracks on the right side of the combine (and forgive me, because my combine knowledge is lacking) roughly where the cylinder sits, kind of above some of the bigger pulleys. The salesman said it was just a stress fracture. But I say a stress fracture from what??? Dad seems to think this is a pretty good combine but I think otherwise, there was just something not right about it. Nearly every bearing on the right side had been changed and some had to be beefed up via some bubblegum welding. Made me think someone may have tourqued the ol' girl at some time or another. I have read on here that once a combine is warped up in some way they may never be the same. Thanks, again.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
SIDE SHEET CRACKS DUE TO EXCESSIVE VIBRATION CAUSED BY MISALIGNED DRIVE SHEAVES OR LOOSE DRIVE BELT. VIBRATION IS TRANSFERRED INTO THE SUPPORT ROD AND MOUNTING BRACKET CAUSING THE SIDE SHEET TO CRACK OR THE WELD TO BREAK ON MOUNTING BRACKET.
Install REDESIGNED STRAW CHOPPER DRIVE SUPPORT ASSEMBLY.
REMOVE SUPPORT ROD H127906.
REMOVE SUPPORT ROD H127906.
REMOVE PIN H120194.
REMOVE MOUNTING BRACKET FROM SIDE SHEET WITH A GRINDER.
REPAIR DAMAGE TO SIDE SHEET AS NECESSARY.
DRILL 16MM (5/8 IN.) HOLE IN SIDE SHEET TOP SILL. LOCATE CENTER OF HOLE 25MM (5/8 IN.) FROM EDGE OF SILL AND 145MM (5 11/16 IN.) FROM CENTER OF FRONT MOUNTING BOLT OF THE REAR HOOD SUPPORT CASTING.
INSTALL PIN H164756.
INSTALL WASHER 24M7091.
INSTALL SUPPORT ROD H176271.
ASSEMBLE 2 FLANGE NUTS 14M7291.
INSTALL SUPPORT ROD H164755.
ASSEMBLE NUT W39621.
Note: When installing the support rod H176271, two additional washers (24H1373) are needed. One washer should be installed on each side of the brace rod to make up for the change in the thickness of the rod.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Tom Turner, There is a wealth of combine knowledge in the people on this site. When we get our combine I will install this kit. Thank all of you very much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts