The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of going back to one combine and ws wondering what you guys think of 9600 '10 capacity. We are currently running 9500 & 7720 both with 920 & 643 heads. This year doing 1000 acres of beans and 800 corn. Will a9600 with 30' head and 843 do this in timely manner? Right now with two we can do about 10a/hr beans and 8a/hr corn. Will a 9600 with 30' head do that in beans? we get about 35-45bu./acre In corn would 8r be enough or should we be looking to 12r? We run 125-180bu./a corn. Is a 9600 enough or should we look to STS. Still like conv. for the straw. our customers hate the rotary straw.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The 10s are still a bit pricey I would look for a 9600, you can find a decent machine and get a 30ft head on it, turn key setup for around 50000. I would stick with an 8 row head for it, not a 12, the reverser wont handle the pull on a 12, tends to hammer the woodruff keys out on the cams. Dont anyone talk you out of the 00 due to Horsepower, the 10 have a bit more but not too much that you cant gain with a little pump work or chip on the 00.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I run a 9600 with a 25ft head and a 643 (both need to be bigger) and i can cut 12-15ac/hr and shell (5-7ac/hr(could be more if farmers could keep the corn away from me)). Soybeans usually run about 35-70bu/ac and corn is 150-250bu/ac. i think you will be happy with a 9600 or 9610.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. There are some machines coming to auction this week so maybe something will come together. We are using a cart now but it is only 500bu. would probably change to a 750-800bu. Can the 9600 handle 30' in wheat? some guys growing srww here @80-100bu/a with a ton of straw.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I have a 9650W (that is soon to be for sale), and had a 9600. With a 8 row head on a 9650, you can pick about 2800 bph, sometimes up to 3200 bph before you run out of seive capacity. 1200-1400 bph on beans if they thresh easily, 1000 bph if they are green stemed and tough.

Don't put a 12 corn head on a 9600, the lower feeder house drive belt won't hold it. We had to install the oil cooler on our 9650 for a 8 row with chopping rolls.

I have a 25' flex for beans, milo, and wheat. If I was going to get a different header I would get a 30'.

As far as the woodruff key in the lower drive sheave, I have 2 sets of cams and sheaves setting here that have the keyways beat out. If I was going to keep the combine I would have someone rework the cam and sheave to take a longer 3/8 key. The key would have to be hardened. This would be an improvement over factory, and should cost less than $300, while new factory parts cost $1440.

On corn and milo, I usually run out of truck capacity before combine capacity. That is with a cart and 3 semis.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a lot of output for that machine. You must be driving very fast or have very high yielding crops. I don't think we can get that out of both combines right now in 150bu.corn. The 9650 would be perfect for us but likely well beyond our budget. Just curious what are you asking for it? How many hrs? what optionsare on it?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Ontgreen, keep in mind those grain flow numbers are from the yield monitor, not scale tickets. 150 bu corn we can put about 1600 bu/hr into the bin for 10 hours.

The machine will be in the $105,000 to $120,000 range, no header. 1600 SH, 2100 EH, contour master, PRW, 20.8x38 duals, 28L26 rears. The engine is not chipped. It has a hard faced St. Johns concave, beater speed up kit, stainless auger trough liners, and wood walker blocks. Loading and unloading augers were new last year.

It has an Ag Leader Insight system, but I haven't decided if I will move it into the new combine yet.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beautiful combine ! wished I could afford that. Our budget is going to be around the 50K mark so that will put us into late model 9600. That 1600bu/hr is real good production over 10 a/hr. That is what we get with 2 units. We can get over 2000 if we have long fields and 2 carts so never waiting;but a lot of fields we do are small < 20a so then we don't do as much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this is an old post but this seems like the place to ask a question about 9600s
I'm runnin an 89 9600 new bars&concaves with every other wire mia, hd walkers, wood blocks and MAVredekop chopper, as we'll as blixxton II tuner pushing a '35 974df. Yesterday while cutting some hard chewing green milo with a cart under me I avg 1700bph (102bpa field avg)I know I can get more outta this girl. Still got lots of power. I'm at my cylinder's max tho if I push harder (lower than 2300engine rpm) I plug the cylinder. beater speed up kit? Hi inertia cyl?

·
Registered
747 Posts
I know this is an old post but this seems like the place to ask a question about 9600s
I'm runnin an 89 9600 new bars&concaves with every other wire mia, hd walkers, wood blocks and MAVredekop chopper, as we'll as blixxton II tuner pushing a '35 974df. Yesterday while cutting some hard chewing green milo with a cart under me I avg 1700bph (102bpa field avg)I know I can get more outta this girl. Still got lots of power. I'm at my cylinder's max tho if I push harder (lower than 2300engine rpm) I plug the cylinder. beater speed up kit? Hi inertia cyl?

High inertia like a sunnybrook....absolutely!! Super heavy and wont stop once that sucker starts spinning. Chip the motor so it maintains constant speed under heavy load and you'll combine beside a 9660 or even a 9760.

·
Registered
8 Posts
High inertia like a sunnybrook....absolutely!! Super heavy and wont stop once that sucker starts spinning. Chip the motor so it maintains constant speed under heavy load and you'll combine beside a 9660 or even a 9760.
Thanks fer advice! I'm planing on a pfp (almost identical to sunnybrook) cylinder after corn harvest. Already got a good chip throwing lots of power so maybe a beater speed up kit and pre thresher plate as well while I'm at it. Since yall say its worth it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thanks fer advice! I'm planing on a pfp (almost identical to sunnybrook) cylinder after corn harvest. Already got a good chip throwing lots of power so maybe a beater speed up kit and pre thresher plate as well while I'm at it. Since yall say its worth it.
It smartened our 9600 right up.....good cheap harvesting power. And you can do the installs yourself. Take the feeder house off, take the right tire off, take the cylinder drive pulley off, take the beater pulley off the left side, remove bearing holder, cut left hand cylinder bearing out, pull shaft out the right side, roll old cylinder out. I made a ring that fit over the right side of the shaft threads so I could hook a come-along to the shaft to pull it out easier. Also made a jib that fit on the pallet forks to carry the cylinder/concave out and the new ones in. Be sure when you put the new components in, that the cylinder is centered evenly on both sides. Re-adjust your zero mark on your concave opening gauge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hot dang! Good pointers! Thank ya sir! And yes they are an unbeatably cheap tough machine.
What model yr you runnin?

·
0 Posts
we're selling our 9600
with a 930 flex both units in perfect shape, well maintained never done corn with the one we are selling. always shedded both header and combine. 2 year old knife.
PM me if your interrested hours are roughly around 4k
asking would be around your price range including head.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hot dang! Good pointers! Thank ya sir! And yes they are an unbeatably cheap tough machine.
What model yr you runnin?
I think its a 1996 model.

Last year we were considering of trading the works (9860sts & 9600) on 2 late model 9870s. Glad we saved our $$ and opted for customizing the 96. We still needed extra combine power so to pick up the slack we found a cheap CTSII and it worked awesome. Plan on customizing that next summer too. I get ag university students from France to work on the farm in the summer and they love running combines and fixing stuff so it works perfectly. I bet we saved at least $160K over the trade in option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think its a 1996 model.

Last year we were considering of trading the works (9860sts & 9600) on 2 late model 9870s. Glad we saved our $$ and opted for customizing the 96. We still needed extra combine power so to pick up the slack we found a cheap CTSII and it worked awesome. Plan on customizing that next summer too. I get ag university students from France to work on the farm in the summer and they love running combines and fixing stuff so it works perfectly. I bet we saved at least $160K over the trade in option.
We are thinking of trading our 8820 and getting another machine. How would you say the ctsII stacks up against the 9600?

·
Registered
8 Posts
now mind you we seldom cut green. here in Midwest ks its all below %16 and dry plants. Except this yr we harvested some green sorghum (first time in 14 yrs). We survive on around 17.5'' avg annual rainfall past 5 yrs

1 - 20 of 27 Posts