The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just bought a 9600 combine, when the grain tank is almost full the low engine warning light comes on even though the engine sounds to be still up to speed. the engine rpm meter display seems to be all over the place, as is the cylinder speed as well.
Suggestions anyone.
From Monty

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Help anyone?
Our 9600 is still loseing revs and power when the grain tank is almost full, when we empty the tank and start off again it is perfect. We checked and cleaned the electric plug on the front of the engine behind the radiator and it improved it slightly to the extent that it takes a little longer to lose revs and power but the problem is still there. Is ther any electrical wiring or plug I should be looking at in the grain tank it self.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Does the engine run erratically when it loses power or is it smooth? Is there smoke? Intercooler clean? How many hours on the engine? Might be a worn out injection pump.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply guys, Fuel filters have been replaced and the engine rpm even with the switch at full trottle will fluctuate from 2300 down to 1400 and up again,even after the seperator is turned off, no black smoke and engine sounds smooth. Its only happining when the grain tank is almost full, up untill then it runs like a clock.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Check the main harnesses running down the left and right side of the combine under the grain tank. Maybe there's a wire pinched on a frame rail and when the tank fills up the weight pinches it tighter. It's highly unlikely but I don't know why else it would happen with the grain tank full. Try moving different wires and harnesses with the engine running.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks, I have been told to check the wiring and plug on the injector pump as well and clean the earth wires that bolt to the frame next to the batteries.

·
Registered
39 Posts
On my 9600 I have problems with trash in the fuel tank completely stopping up the in tank strainer. I have taken the fuel line from the tank to the water separator off at the water separator, and then blow air up into the tank to push the trash off. But that is only a temporary fix. If its as bad as mine you need to unscrew the strainer from the botom of the tank. Just let the fuel flow to help wash out extra trash and blow off the strainer. Then put the strainer back in. (no clean way to do this so be ready to take a diesel bath and then a good shower) Also, just to cover all the bases, you want to disconect the fuel hose from the tank end this time so it is easier to unscrew the strainer and cutoff valve.

So, if you take the hose lose and see little or no fuel running out then you most likely have trash in the tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Greentech, took your advise, checked and gave all wiring harness a wriggle and the problem has gone away. Also I found a small wiring harness that was pressing up tight against the top of the radiator shroad above the alternator. the plastic loom had worn through and the wires were exposed. Thanks one and all and have a great Christmas and New Year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts