The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to get a corn head for my 1997 9600, I've never cut my own corn before and know nearly nothing about it. In general i'm looking for an 8row, 30inch head, have been looking at the various websites and the jd893's seem to be most numerous, but not sure of the options i'd need. The hydraulic decks etc. need to cut about 350-450ac yr of 275bu corn. any recomendations on what a guy should look for?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Check chain wear, snapping rollers, deck plates. Its hard to know on the gear boxes, you could make the deal and ask to run it the first day to try it to check it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dont get a Drago,that would be your worst purchase ever,we had wet conditions this year and one of our customers bought one instead of a new deere and they made the dealer take there Drago back,anything that is self adjusting usually is not good. 893's are a good head.

·
Registered
961 Posts
look for a used Drago. the deckplates are self-adjusting, so you have almost no header loss. the deere head is a little cheaper, but you will notice it in the quality. the drago is a lot heavier built.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Amen. Generally, when the mfg. tries to take the operator out of the equation, when it pertains to things like this, it generally winds up a mess.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Drago but obviously parts for the 893 would be far more plentiful and this could mean less downtime during harvest. You already own a 9600 so you know how nice it is owning a popular machine- almost every part is readily available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help, on an 893, how important is getting the hydraulic vs manual deck adjustments? also what makes the decision on the rolls, regular vs fluted vs knife etc?

·
Registered
961 Posts
anyone who says a drago is not as good obviously knows nothing about corn heads or the setting of them. you get the pitch set right and the header speed and they will put a deere to shame. we are die hard deere fans but will never buy another header from them until they do some major changes.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Yeah, more than likely because he never blew his cornhead off
But for those of us who blow our equipment off regularly don't have problems. The neighbors run four Drago's- two 12's and two 9's, through all kind of conditions and they told us you will never have a problem as long as you blow the cornhead off every week. We already do that so it is not a problem.

An 893 is just a shiny 843 last time I checked! I laugh whenever I look at one and see the piece of tin which they think is good enough for under the cross auger. When you look at the cornheads side by side you will see what I mean.

Last fall I stoped at more than a few fields to see how different cornheads were doing and the Drago was the only one I found which left hardly any corn behind.

So before you go making comments like that you should really check up on your info

Dave

·
Registered
961 Posts
thats a big 10 4 dave. was amazed when i plowed some of the fields we cut last year and found almost no corn on the ground. the drago testimonials are very strong but every good word about them is true.

·
Registered
25 Posts
John Deere corn head update kit

How would all you loyal Deere customers feel about a kit that would update your corn head to durability and the ability to harvest more corn?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts