The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know what the operators manual says about settings for the 9600s in corn, What are some settings you guys use after seeing most conditions. The manual for me has always been a simple base to start from for small grains but the markets here in California are changing and I have been asked to harvest corn this coming fall. I havent decided If I should run a 6 or 8 row head. All our growers here use cotton equipment for bedding on 38" rows limiting me to a 694 or 894 head.
I know the obvious settings, raise the front drum, concave inserts, open the precleaner and concave up but what are some tips from the pros?
Thanks to all.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well in mn. we do somethings differently, but we seem to have good results.First of all if your machine is a true corn combine you should already have the wide spaced 51 slat feederhouse chain, very important, too many slats, too much metal on grain.We also remove everyother wire from the concave,or shorten everyother if the machine will be used in grain like yours.make sure your fan reaches 1380rpms on 96 and older 9000's and 1600 on newer 9000's., keep the fan speed up . at least 1300rpms .also here is a tip that goes back to the 7700 days in mn. run your lowers sieves wide open, yes wide open , keep the top chaffers at 5/8 " precleaner only as wide as kernel, not wider.little to no tailings will be the result, less damage more capacity.far as the cyl . speed slow it down all the way , start with the concave full open, close concave till 80%kernels are off the cob, speed up cyl. 10rpm at a time till 100% threshed. well running behind, questions just ask . deerefever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts