The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a while since I had one apart but I think the reverser is just a dog clutch. It sounds like you are not getting complete engagement in the forward direction. Make sure everything is clean and moves freely. The engagement in the forward direction is just accuated by a spring. Any binding or dragging will reduce the engagement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an early 9600. In operations harvesting cereals, everytime I "push" the machine, the feeder will disengage, making a clicking sound. Reversing corrects the problem, however in the past the maching would at least give some indication you were getting close to plugging, growling, pull down, maybe even an alarm, but recently just let's loose premature. Seems like a slip cluth or something in reverser area needs attention. No help from the local dealer.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
117 Posts
We had a similar problem on our 9610. Sounds like your slip clutch dogs are worn and need replacement. It's a relatively easy fix, the clutch is on the upper RH side of the feederhouse.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The spring on the feeder house slip clutch is only good for about 3 seasons before it compresses and weakens its pressure on the dogs, If your chain and sprockets are good and theres not other mechanical problems, and everything is in adjustment, washers will give you a temporary fix, just stack some under the cup against the spring to add pressure.
I use welded clutches in wheat the new springs when we switch to corn. but if you eat something youll breakthe shaft.

·
Registered
778 Posts
You need to check a little closer when it's slipping to know where the problem is. Does your header keep turning when it happens? If so then the reverser is not the problem and it's likely just the slip clutch on the right side of the top shaft. If it is the reverser you've likely worn the engagement collar to the point where it can't hold anymore. It might've started as a misadjustment but you'll probably have to open up the gear case and replace the worn parts. Make sure then it gets adjusted as per the tech manual procedure to prevent it from happening again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts