The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was combining all day long with no issues then at dark when going to fill everything up for the night, I turned off the header and separator while unloading into the truck.

When I went to turn the header and separator back on to cut again, the header will not turn on... The separator turns on fine. I assume the header switch is working because all the warning lights come on when I engage just the header switch. I pulled the plug that runs to the electromagnetic brush module on the header clutch right inside the access door outside the cab. When I turn on the header switch I only get about 1 vdc there. I'm thinking I should have 12 vdc when I turn on the switch.

Anyone else ever have this problem? I'm thinking maybe the relay on the armrest board? I'm planning to dive into it more tomorrow morning so any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Should have 12 volts, relay should be in grain tank box, you can run 12 volts from battery to test clutch, or as I have done before grab power from the separator engage solenoid on top of gear case and run to clutch, if you have to wait for a relay or a board etc...

Ant...

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
You understand how a relay works? May be best to first check if the header clutch works as x80 stated. Jump power directly to the clutch first and make sure it engages fully. Then Go back to relay in the grain tank access door and check control side of relay and controlled side of relay, from cab switch and to header clutch. Or just swapping relays is very quick easy check to see if it is bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions and sorry it's taken me a while to respond. I've been cutting corn all day.

It did end up being the relay in the header engage circuit. It's actually the one relay on the armrest board right next to the switch. I think the only reason it's in the circuit is to run with the seat switch and cut the header if you get out of the seat.

The reason I suspected the relay is because I had 12 volts going to the armrest board, my seat switch was testing fine, the header engage switch was fine and I just wasn't getting 12vdc to come off the board to run the brush module. As soon as I changed the relay I had 12vdc at the brush module where I was only getting 1vdc before.

I spent 10 years making a living doing component level troubleshooting on aviation electronics and I can't even count how many times I've seen a relay become resistive, or weak as they get old and worn, not to mention it's a cheap and easy place to start.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.