The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How fast should I be able to cut in 50-55bu. wheat with a 9600 and a 224 header? This combine is new to me. I used to run a 7700.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you are used to a 7700 the 9600 will blow your mind. First go get a 930. I am not sure you can keep it full with a 224. With a 30 foot in 50 + bushel wheat we can run 5.0 to 5.8 depending on how much straw you have to take.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If you use the 224, especially this year, you will be ok...I wouldn't go crazy trying to find a 30 ft, but I do agree with MacFarms in that you should get a 930R when you can.

I would be going closer to 5.0 than 5.8 in 55 bpa wheat. The amount of straw, cutting conditions (humidity, temp., etc) will play a big role in how fast you're able to go. Just keep an eye on the hind-end, and pull back on the orange lever if you go to throwing it out the back.

·
Registered
273 Posts
In my area 3.5mph with a 30ft draper cutting spring wheat but we almost always have straw that is not cured out so plugging the cylinder is what dictates ground speed for us.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can only manage between 3.5-4.0 mph before I start throwing too much out the back. I'm cutting close to the ground and am taking in alot of straw. There's quite a few heads low to the ground and I'm trying to every bit I can.

P.S. Should the beater grate be in the up or down position?

·
Registered
32 Posts
i can usually go 3.8 to 4 in 60 to 70 with a 930. congrats on the new machine, i'm sure it will give you many years of good service.

·
Registered
521 Posts

Hello, Ryno
. Where are you from (?), if you don't mind me asking. I grew up near Lubbock (In Hale county), and now live on the family farm near Amarillo. I was just wondering where you were cutting that 60-70 bpa wheat ? Are you gonna do that this year? If so, is it under a pivot?

Good to have you here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hey texas farmer, im just down the road from you in farwell and i have another place in bovina. yes the 70++ is under pivot, packaged at 400 and 570 at bovina. have to run two wells to a pivot though, but our water is holding up better than some around here. our dryland will usually make around 30 if the moisture is normal and we usuall summer fallow the dry. also raise milo and haygrazer so we have feed in the winters, and we bale about half our irrigated wheat every year. also, i dont think i'll quite get to 70+ this year, but i have a circle that i'm hoping to hit 70.Prolly most of it will go around 60-65. but, you can hope in one hand and spit in the other and see which one fills up faster

·
Registered
521 Posts
Ryno: It's good to hear about you, and what you've got going on. I am glad your wheat is that good this year, as it has been a tough year (I know I dont have to tell you that).
A bunch of wheat around here is being plowed up. I plowed up just over 700 acres last week...it is just not worth going through, even though I have my own machine. I am leaving most of my wheat, at least for now, and will see what the combine has to say about it. We can always pull out.
We've been putting down some NH3 for this years' milo. Not quite sure it's the right thing to do, but my Granddad always said farm like you're gonna succeed....farm like it's gonna rain tomorrow. I would hate to have a wet spring & summer (from here on out), and not have put some fertilizer down. Besides, we are not putting down that much and the price has come down significantly. We are paying $400/ton (net) for NH3. That is a lot more tolerable than that $600 stuff...
I grow quite a bit of hay (red top cane), too; as a cow/calf operation is what keeps my boat floating. We winter our cattle in our canyon country, which is in the Palo Duro canyon. It is a great place to winter mother cows--there is all kinds of protection down there.
Again, I hope your wheat turns out good---even better than what you're thinking. BrewMax is correct: there is some prime farmland over there in Parmer County.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I run a '89 model 9600 and have a 930 and I can run 4 to 5 mph in 50-60 bpa wheat. Last year we averaged 78 (eastern NC), and I tended to run 3.5 to 4 mph. I think that with the 24' header you will have to run just as fast as the cutter bar will handle to keep the machine full. That is in dry wheat, if it's damp, green or downed then obviously it will go slower.

·
Registered
32 Posts
your grandpa had some great advice. if we threw up our hands every time it was dry, we'd quit more times than not. if we just have faith that god will provide we'll all make it out. i hope your wheat cuts more than enough to justify cuttin it. best of luck and god bless. PS just posted a new thread in general, if you have time check it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts