The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this fall I ran a 1999 9510 with a 8 row 30 inch head. top speed would be around 3mph. My partner ran a 9660 with a 8 row head at about 5mph. This really made it hard for the grain cart operator, it was almost a 2-1 ratio for him to keep running to my partner. I don't own the 9510, I liked the machine but a 8 row head was really pushing it, the belt on the clean grain took a beating, and was the ultimate limiting factor to this set up. I want to get a 9600, can that put me around the 3.5 to 4 mph range with a 8 row 30 inch rows around 175 to 195 bpa mositure around 20-24%. I know it won't be a 9660 capacity, thats not a fair comparison, 2 different breeds of combine, but I think a 9600 will do fine and I am familar with the operation, etc... The reason I don't look to a 9610 is right now I only run 300-400 acres of my own, don't really have the custom acres yet, maybe in the future.
Overall would this set up work better than the 9510, i haven't had time to sit down and look at all the spec's to see the diffences, still running snow through right now wishing we were done. thx

·
Registered
321 Posts
A 9600 would fit the bill for you - good capacity, reliable and won't break the bank.

It will easily shell @ 4 mph in the yields you mentioned, 5 would be doable also. Will handle a 25' flex with ease.

Member name bent had a good post on the capacity of his 9650W not to long ago, might look for that post.

jd

·
Registered
117 Posts
We have both a 9600 and a 9610 with 8/30 corn heads. In our experience with a 9600 or a 9610, 5 + mph is realistic in 200 + bushel corn, as long as moisture is mid 20's or less. If your ground is rolling, you might have hp issues going uphill, especially when unloading. In that case, well, you just slow down a bit. In very wet (25-30%) 200+ bushel corn, the grain elevator will be the bottle-neck. 4.5 mph or so is usually about it for us in those conditions. You'll want to make sure the 9600 you buy has the higher hp engine, although I think most of them sold new in areas where there is corn or soybeans would have that. We also chipped our 9600 this year, adding 30% hp. However, before the chip we could still run 5 mph or more, but would have power shortage when unloading on the go in certain conditions in corn. We chipped it primarily for soybeans. In soybeans, we run 930's with full finger augers and crary air reels.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
I just looked up your age, wow, your one of the..um...er...most experienced posters here.
Never would have guessed that.

Don

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Another thing paying the premium for the 9*10 series doesn't pencil out as you can put most of the 10 series updates on the 9*00 combines. Either way good combines and you shouldn't have any problem locating a good combine for a good price.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thx for info guys, i read the precleaner question for 9600 that sorta answered alot too. I'm a big international guy so this was a tough descission to go to, i have ran 1660 to 1680 to 2188 to 8010, key here is i ran someone elses, now i want my own and i like the 9600 and i agree for the money and what i want it to do it should be fine. Only complaint is i hate how i have to listen to the rotor belt growl when doinG wet beans.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What was your limiting factor with the 9510? Unless it was the clean grain elevator it should have done better than 3mph. I can see about 2400 bu/hr on my 9500 when it is full.

I believe the 9600's use the same clean grain elevator so food for thought..

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it was the the clean grain elevator , in soybeans it was thrashing, everything was wet and of course a poor year but in corn it seemed to be the clean grain, that worries me if that is the same as a 9500, their must be something wrong then, cause i have seen alot of 9600 with eight row heads, 2.5mph to 3mph can't be the answer.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The early 96's ie 89 (90??) had a bit smaller C.G. system. Later machines have a much larger elevator than the 95's did.

Find a 1995 or later model optioned how you want it - can't go wrong there.

jd

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BDAWG, YOU answered my question in another post about a 9500 clean grain elevator. we broke the spring on the belt, on the tensioner and when we got it fixed it was still loose but no more adjustment could be made, when you start pushing corn in i bet it was slipping the belt till it plugged. i thought that belt should have been alot tighter!!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Make sure that the "hair-pin" or key (what you normally put in a hitch-pin) that is on the grain elevator drive belt tensioner rod is not in a hole that is too high or else it will not allow the belt to get tight enough after it streches or when under heavy load. The purpose of the hair-pin is so that you can pull the rod and remove the tension on the belt for servicing-- the hair-pin is then re-inserted into the rod in another hole to hold the spring compressed. After you service something on that belt or drive, it is easy to put it back in the wrong hole.

·
Registered
19 Posts
akrumy32.. you are welcome! I had to go through that mess for a while till I figured out what was going on. The new belt I was given was considerably shorter than then old one to get more traction, the parts guy told me. Must work, it will squirt corn now.

Make sure you weld a 1/4" rod around the circumference of the fountain auger, makes it last a ton longer and keeps it at 100% capacity too. When these get really worn out, they will slip the belt and cause the elevator to stall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts