The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like this is a stupid question but when the precleaner is open on corn in the 9600 does the corn go directly into the clean grain or on the fan?
Because I always seem to have a build up of corn around the fan.
It piles up towards the rear of the fan.
Is their something I am doing wrong that causes this or is it common?
I also have seen little rows of corn on the ground coming out of the inspection holes by the rear of the fan. Is there something wrong? Maybe I am just pushing it a little to much.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Corn from the precleaner does go to clean grain, and if your getting grain in your fan you probably have a hole in your grain tank. Look under the augers in the tank right where they push the grain to the vertical unloading auger. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
if it don't leak corn into the fan when precleaner is closed,then there must be a leak somewhere under the precleaner,pull the precleaner out and look thru the side doors should be able to see in there good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I set up 9000's I usually start setting the precleaner by closing the precleaner shut, then put a few handfuls of shelled corn scattered over the top then open the precleaner till most of the corn falls usually 1/4-3/8" for corn, then I set the sieves and chaffers to the book as a STARTING point, you can set the sieves by the shelled corn method too. I usually set the fan speed on the high side, and the chaffers and sieves on the high side so that you get VOLUME air and not pressure air, the grain USUALLY will always drop and the MOG ( material other than grain ) should blow over. If I see corn in the fan, I ask 1.) did you stop the machine forward motion real quick, so that corn could have spilled into the fan from the sieves, and not by actual harvesting. 2.) is your clean grain augers and elevator system in good shape, my point is that it can get the grain away quickly 3.) is your fan slipping ( belt / clutch and is your electric motor that speeds up the fan allowing you to achieve the high fan speeds, because sometimed that threaded gear shaft threads get siezed if not lubed a little or the machine sits idle for a long time 4.) do you have your concave and cylinder set so that there are very few split cobs ( broken in 1/2 or 1/3's are acceptable but you want to minimize the splits, if the moisture and variety will allow it, I realize this does not work 100% of the time, but for me I would say 80-90% of the time ). ground speed is important to run the machine at full capacity for maximum productivity when conditions warrant it. In NW Ohio we can run 8 row corn with 9600-9610 at 4.5-6 mph, 180-200 bu /acre corn @ 23-25% moisture, 9500/10's do the same with 6 row heads. I also run WITHOUT the inserts, but really pay attention to having concave leveled and set at the " sweet spot" , so I keep the small cobs out of the cleaning shoe.... we are very flat here too, I know you hillside guys have trouble with this sometimes ? Have you ever done a "power shutdown" where you run the combine at operating speed,back out of the crop then shut off the separator / feederhouse, and low idle the engine very quickly, allow engine to idle a little bit before shutting off engine, shut off engine, then look in the walkers, the precleaner access doors, shaker shoe and fan, and you should be able to see what is going on inside your machine. I usually do this as a last resort when its hard to decide what to do, and I do not do it anymore than necessary so that its not hard on the machine, your op manual describes the same directions, and it has worked for me several times. The precleaner was designed to take some of the load off the sieves and chaffer by dumping that grain directly to the clean grain system, if its open too far you may get excessive dirt in the tank...
In high yielding wheat ( 90-100+ bu acre ) I have cracked that precleaner an 1/8-3/16 to gain capacity too, but watch out for the excessive dirt in tank, sometimes it does not work...
Oh yeah make sure the fan intake screens are CLEAN of debris like corn silk and fotter, this may sound funny, it can blow, but it has to suck 1st ( meaning suck in clean air from front under conveyor augers and sides ) so that you get an even airflow across whole width of fan.
In dry fluffy fotter conditions, sometimes you need to check this a couple times a day.... I have also seen those clamps on the fans get loose and allow the shaft to spin inside the fans, or the fans can slide into the housing and not blow air at all.....I have seen this start fire at worst, and really rear up some housings.

hope this helps

·
Registered
66 Posts
Question about 9600 in 22%-20% corn. We run a 12 row 20" corn head, so should be the same as your 8 row.

We could not seem to run over 3.0-3.5 without pushing corn out the back of our 9600. In one particular field where we were setting it, the corn averaged 210ish bu/ac and ranged from 180-280 going across the field. Had the pre-cleaner open a fair bit.

Any general thoughts?

·
Registered
43 Posts
If tank sample is clean you can open up the precleaner until you get too many cobs. When that is set you can open the chaffer wide enough not to let whole cobs fall through. Then set your sieve to let just some corn in the tailings return. Turn your wind down if you have little trash coming over the sieves and up more is there is a lot of trash. We usually ran around 1000rpms on our 9650 walker. If the loss is coming from the walkers you either have to let less trash in or slow down.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, the top sieve I call the chaffer. There are also concave inserts that you can put in or take out to even out the pressure on either the sieves or walkers. You take out the inserts or just some of them to put more pressure on the sieves if there is a lot of walker loss from so much trash. It is a little bitt of a pain to put in and take out because you have to crawl in walker door on top to put the inserts in or take them out.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no holes anywhere.
When I combine corn I always have a little build up by the fan. By those inspection holes towards the rear of the fan.
Combine works fine. No problems or holes anywhere. Just corn by the fan. Never happens in wheat, oats, barley, sunflowers, flax, or alfalfa. Just corn. So i assumed this has something to do with the precleaner because this is the only thing I combine with the precleaner open.

Is there anything else other than corn that you open the precleaner up for?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts