The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little problem. The front right hand tire went flat this winter sitting on the pole shed. When the tire went flat the caused the unloading auger to go up and hit the rafter and bent the heck out of the auger. It is beyond trying to straighten out, just wondering how to go about taking it off and replacing it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
as far as pulling the housing goes, the older machines can be quite a challenge. the ones that i have done are usually rusted in place, it works best with 3 guys, one of the end to wiggle, one at the seam to work it with prybars and a hammer, and the third guy running whatever you have holding the housing up (ie crane, loader, tree with a rope, whatever)

oh, and when going back on, make sure that it isn't on there twisted and that it's level with the rest of the auger

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya auger is bent to. The rafter caught the very end of the auger and I am guessing that it is bent down 8-10 inches. It kinked about halfway to the elbow, pretty much right in line with the front of the engine. I figured that the flighting had to timed but didnt know how to do it.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
We smacked our auger against a telephone pole in 06, we we're lucky and it might be worth a try, but it was far enough towards the end we were able to message the dent a little bit with the round end of a crowbar, then in low idle we turned the auger on and it worked the dent out itself.

I don't know how bad yours is, but it might be trying it.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
We have bent an auger before and the housing isn't really the problem cause it is so lightweight but the flighting usually needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Our 9500 has a similar dent, not a huge one but it's right on the bottom of the tube so I'm sure the flighting is rubbing a hole in it slowly. The dent happened last fall and we combined another 500acres of corn with the dent in it. It's not my style to leave it that way but how long do you think it will last this way and will it ruin the flighting where the dent it? I may be able to pound it out some if I take off the tube. How bad of a job is it to pull the tube...got a 4020 with a loader to hold it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was going to turn it into my insurance, but I have a coule claims on there from the last 2 years that add up a few bucks that I am not sure that I want to turn it in, I just might eat this one. I have a nieghbor that had a 9600 burn up last year and he bought it back from his insurance so he said he would give me a he!! of deal on it and then I would just do it myself.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
big country, got another 9600 there, if you do, swing out damaged auger over back of other machine and pull long and short auger out while you stand on straw walker rear frame much easier to get augers out first, before you remove augers swing auger out a little, inspection cover out from 90 degree torruet out about two feet on engine side, remove this and yes some of the studs will brake off, be careful not a fun place to take cover off, we use a loader tractor have made a 6 fooet spreader bar that attaches use two lifting straps and remove, if your loader lifts that high, scott.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts