The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 9600 that's making a vibration that seems to be tied to the variable speed on the cylinder. I don't notice it at slow speeds on the high or low end but when I increase the cylinder speed it progressivly gets worse and worse. I've checked all bearings and everything seems to be lined up correctly with the cylinder but it seems like a u-joint in the main drive line under the hopper or a bent shaft from the gear box behind the cab but we've checked the u-joints and we're stumped. Several mechanics have seen the mystery vibration in other machines but have had no luck in finding the culprit. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought it was dust too at first and blew it out in the field, cylinder, variable speed and all. Still did it. We just took it completly apart, new spikes, concave grates, everything, total rebuild. Still does it. I'll check that cylinder to see if it's cracked. We thought it might be the beater. Wore out wing or something but turned up nothing out of order. Maybe something will turn up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Check the primary countershaft gearbox mounts on the left side of the combine. I had the front U-joint go out on me during harvest and broke a mounting bolt. Felt like the whole combine was about to come apart when in gear. I checked the U-joint before harvest and everything seemed ok. It was behind the little service door in the grain bin. Hope that gives you something else to check

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Have you cleaned back behind the Bars, if there is alot of build up on the back side of them it will unbalance them and cause it to vibrate. I would use a screw driver and clean them up then take high pressure air to them. If this does not help something else is wrong.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I figured it out today. The countershaft coming across the back of the cab turned two shades of red today and started a little fire behind the cab. Luckly we had been blowing that area out every afternoon hoping to find something new in an attempt to figure out the shaking. We haven't gotten into it all just yet but it wasn't the bearing. It's got something to do with that variable speed pully that slips over the end of that shaft cause it's loose as a goose. I'll post more when I figure it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ended up, that primary countershaft is hollow with a machined end welded into both ends and the weld had broken on the right side that turns the variable speed pully. It stuck up into that hollow shaft about 6 inches and was still locking most of the time but finally broke free yesterday. It's only taken 2 years and 20,000 dollars to figure out what was wrong. No bearing or anything else was torn up. Go figure.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Why wouldn't you take dual range cylinder pin out and run machine? -
Could have ruled out the cylinder and if you went as far as pulling the drive belt off you coulda ruled out the dual range drive-
I'm just amazed you would throw 20,000 @ a machine when a mechanic who knew what he was doing could have solved that problem in minutes and saved you 19K-

I get that vibrations are hard to solve- but 9600 are as simple as it gets
if the cylinder is balanced -
if you ve run it withbeater belts off -
and if the run out is checked on the dual range -
you move backwards from there
That would take a tech less than 1 hour- or 100 bucks and the next place you go woulda been where you ended up! Those bushing in that variable probably fell out when you pulled it off! Lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a broken weld on 9600 primary counter shaft. I have removed mag clutch from left side and variable sheave from right side and 4 bolts from bearing holder on right side but I can't tap it out to the right with a sledge and block of wood hitting from the left. Am I missing something?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.