The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade from my somewhat tired 8820 to something a little newer. We farm where we have some hills. Looking to get into a 9500, 9600 or 9510 , 9610 and was wondering the difference between 00 series and 10 series. I know the 10 series has a little bit more computer stuff on it, but wondering about the machine example... Capacity..reliablity..etc
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Basically, the 9600/9610 are exactly the same. Capacity and the like are identical, but look at a few features changes as with the typical line of progresion during the eleven years the 9000 Series were produced.
Branding the last two years of them, the "10 Series" and adding the decal, "Maximizer," was only a marketing ploy, much as were the 20 Series from 1985, up. The one thing I have noticed, is that the designation of the 10 Series does add around 10-15 grand more in the market price of them.

The key things to look for, as with any combine, is hours, overall condition and key wear points.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
i understand that fan speed is a little bit faster on the 10 series or something similar that allows the precleaner to be opened more. could be sales talk of the time though. could sift the jam nuts on the adjuster on a 9600 though. i will do this to my cts11 this year there is room on the pulley for it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
alky,

If you want a copy of the brochure specs on the 9x00 and 9x10 series to compare, PM me your email address and I will send you copies.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Okay, straight from the brochure's spec pages:

Cylinder width: 95xx = 55 inches 96xx = 64.5 inches

Precleaner, chaffer
and sieve width: 95xx = 50.6 inches 96xx = 61.5 inches

·
Registered
33 Posts
if you go on john deeres actual website, they tell you straight up the things changed over the years. some things they added thicker steal to like the elevators and such. look on their or google it. i think either way it will take u to the same place.

·
Registered
51 Posts
alkyburner:

If I could have answered this 6 years ago (we had traded our 9600's for 9610's at that time--now they are replaced by STS's) I could have rattled off the diffs. But here are some of them:

- 275 hp vs 260 hp
- serpentine belt on 10 series with auto-tightener drives all engine functions. very nice feature
- Fans suck dust out of feederhouse and diverts it downward (available only on variable spd fdrhouse) On the 9600, dust would come out the bottom of the fdrhouse and obscure visibility.
- Upper shaft on fdrhouse is bigger in diam and round vs hex to eliminate wrapping
- Wider-spaced concave on 10's--the width itself is the same as 9600 so one could put a 10 concave in a 9600
- A digital readout in the cab that shows the concave clearance--nice feature that makes it easier to set the machine and also to return to the same clearance if you have opened concave to remove slug, or when switching back and forth between crops
- You are able to read 2 functions at once on the cab corner display--such as cylinder speed and fan speed
- New-style inserts that make it easier to change concave inserts when switching from small grain to corn
- Handles with fine-marked notches to adjust the sieves and chaffer, makes it very easy to set them exactly the same when switching crops. However, this is one change that can easily be installed on the 9600
- the shields on the side of the combine were changed to slideaway, a handy feature
- rear lights were an option, could be added to 9600 as well

As you read through the changes, one can see that some of them are easily retrofitted to the 9600; some would be nearly impossible w/o serious work (reading 2 functions, digital concave display, serpentine belt) You can install the feederhouse fans on a 9600, I would guess it's $3000 or more.

I don't think one would notice any additional threshing capability because most of the changes in that dept could be updated on the 9600 (except the 15 hp). I always thought most of the changes were features that made it more operator friendly.

When we traded from '94 9600's to '98 9610's, it cost around $25000 per machine. It would still be that much or more. I shake my head when I see 9610's with asking prices of $75000+. Some folks don't want to give up the walker machine, obviously. You can buy as 9650 STS for a little more.

Hope this helps you make a decision. Not trying to sound like a know-it-all. Some of this I had in my head; some I got out of JD adv brochure. I'm a JD combine nut and make no apologies for it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Nope. Both are the same.

9600 had 14 bar concave, 9610 has 13 bar but by now most machines this age are on their 2nd or 3rd concave so it could be anything.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A BIG thanks to everyone for all the great information on this subject. I've got a lot of information to "digest" and sort threw. I'm glad to of found such a great informative website... Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts