The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9600 owners, keep an eye on the transparent oil level hose for the walker gearbox,this hose also drains the box as well One morning while greasing up and doing a visual walkaround I noticed the hose had cracked and lost all the oil, fortunately it happened overnight while the machine was idle. I guess over time this hose becomes brittle and will crack easily.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Don't replace the hose and use oil again, instead buy the appropriate o-ring plug for the large bottom port and a plug for the smaller breather port, pump 1 full tube of corn head grease into the case via a zerk installed in the smaller port, install plugs and be done with it. That was factory protocol starting in the 50 series.

jd

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks VJMONT
I had that samething happen,hose cracked and leaked oil over nite,I replaced the hose but next harvest season it will have grease,

·
Registered
530 Posts
Only problem is you cant change the grease. easy to drain the oil every so often. It will get dirty and break down, turn black.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Just pull the plug and pump new grease in, just like a corn head row gear case. It'll push the old grease out. I don't trust the oil tube with it being so far away. You never know if there's an air lock and the indicated level on the tube is not the true level. Plus, oil can leak out and grease doesn't. I convert every walker machine to grease.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts